Lopi insert fits but no clearance on top of firebox to connect exhaust pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swimman

Sep 19, 2008
Rhode Island
So, today was my install date. Installer showed up and started taking measurements. All the dimensions show that the unit fits. However, one dimension, the amount of clearance between the top of the pellet insert and the roof of the fireplace insert was never mentioned. Turns out the pellet unit is just about 20" tall and the top of the fireplace insert (roof) is 22 1/4" with the flue directly over the hopper which does not allow the 4" pipe to bend off to one side to connect to the exhaust motor. SOL at this point.

Anyone want 2 tons of Fireside Ultras I have as a paperweight in the basement? Located in RI.

Too upset to see what other options I have but I'll talk with the dealer tomorrow as my contact has the day off today.

Ahhh....Sorry to hear that swim.........

Swimman,

What a DISAPPOINTMENT!!! So sorry to hear of your problem.

Can you extend the hearth by the length of two bricks and place a Lopi leyden, or other Lopi model, in front of the fireplace opening.

My wife wanted an insert. I was leary because of the shape of the fireplace firebox ( curves inward at the top od the back and sides like a well designed fireplace should) and the relatively small size of the firebox.

We compromised by extending the hearth, stove back will be about 1" in front of the face of the fireplace, 4" stainless liner to the chimney top, and OAK to the ash dump.

We have a heavy black sheet metal block off plate ( looks nice) that was used to cover the fireplace opening, after a fire in the fireplace, to keep warm air from escaping up the chimhey before the damper could be closed. This plate will be trimmed to fit around the the stainless pipes and placed behind the stove to make a neat install. A stove or sheet metal shop can fabricate.

Good luck and don't give up.

Ranger,
I thought about putting a free standing unit in front of the fireplace and will have to consider that as one of the options after I talk to the dealer tomorrow. I really don't want to have to extend the hearth and get a cover for the opening but maybe!! If you have a pic feel free to post so I can see your set up. You can also email it to me at [email protected] (remove 'no spam').

Thanks.

Swimman,

Sorry. I do not own a digital camera. Not big on photos . . . . . .

My wife did not want to give up the extra two bricks of hearth space, but once I laid out a cardboard template showing the stove size and clearances required, she was OK with it. ( We, at one time had a Vermont Castings Vigilant wood stove in front of the fireplace and the hearth requirements were much larger for that unit than those of a Lopi pellet stove. That hearth extension was removed about 15+ years ago when we sold the wood stove and installed a wood boiler.)

Let us all know what you decide.

It will all work out for the best, you'll see....... Hang in there!!!

One other option that I have to talk with the dealer about is moving the stove out about 1 1/2 inches and then there should be enough room to get the vent pipe down to the motor. This would create a gap between the wall and the face plate but I can probably have a metal surround fabricated to cover the gap. I'll create another thread and see if others have done the same.

BadDad,
How do you like the Thelin? They are great looking.

the old ranger said:
Swimman,

Can you extend the hearth by the length of two bricks and place a Lopi leyden, or other Lopi model, in front of the fireplace opening.

That's what i did. Hearth extension and a Leyden in front of the prefab fireplace. vents up the 8" flue with 4" foreverflex liner. Love it!

Would like to install an OAK but don't see any way to do it because of the fireplace. Anyone have any ideas?

swimman said:
So, today was my install date. Installer showed up and started taking measurements. All the dimensions show that the unit fits. However, one dimension, the amount of clearance between the top of the pellet insert and the roof of the fireplace insert was never mentioned. Turns out the pellet unit is just about 20" tall and the top of the fireplace insert (roof) is 22 1/4" with the flue directly over the hopper which does not allow the 4" pipe to bend off to one side to connect to the exhaust motor. SOL at this point.

Anyone want 2 tons of Fireside Ultras I have as a paperweight in the basement? Located in RI.

Too upset to see what other options I have but I'll talk with the dealer tomorrow as my contact has the day off today.
That is unfortunate. Sounds like a fly by night operation. We do a pre-installation site inspection on EVERY installation we do to avoid that situation. I'm hoping you bought your stove from a stove shop, in which case they will try to get you into maybe a free-standing unit. Don't fret the wait either, all the manufacterers are starting to get caught up. We've received 60+ pellets stoves in the past 2 weeks alone. Why not try an adjustable section of pipe? I can even give you the part # if you're using ICC. Good luck.

The dealer is reputable and is working with me to find a solution, if any! I've like the way they have treated me so far but time will tell if I do anything with them depending on if a solution can be found. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know if I need anything.

Hmmm.. in the lopi manual they have a measurement section that has every thing needed.. At lest for the wood stoves & inserts they do.

I don't see how the dealer didn't see this.

Well Dave, it sounds like they never did a site inspection.

NHenergy said:
Well Dave, it sounds like they never did a site inspection.

Your right,,, and My dealer never did one either.. I went by the manual provided my Lopi and told my dealer all the measurements. It's in black & white.. not hard to screw up.

The dealer SHOULD ask for that stuff first, BEFORE you order a stove/insert.

My Quadrafire insert has its exhaust out the back of the unit not the top, have you looked into the other brands of inserts to see if any of them will fit your fireplace ? When I was looking for an insert I measured my fireplace and looked at all the installation requirements to make sure it would fit. I also talked to the dealer and gave him the dimensions, and he said the Quad would fit nicely.

Maybe another brand would fit into yours, not all of them have the exhaust pipe out the top of the insert. Its just a suggestion, and a thought.

Sorry to hear the Lopi didnt fit, Im sure it was a disappointment for you.

Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.