Lopi liberty. Stove pipe temps vs stove top temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, your links are broken for some reason. The best way to post pics is directly using the "upload a file" option.

I also have a Liberty. My "default" position for the air control is most of the way closed. Probably 1/8-14" in most of the time. The two exceptions are first thing in the morning (wide open for ~15 minutes) and overnight (fully closed). During the day we keep adding wood when it needs it and just leave the air control alone. I have ~20 feet of pipe and my wood is 2-3 years seasoned.

I also have a Liberty. My "default" position for the air control is most of the way closed. Probably 1/8-14" in most of the time. The two exceptions are first thing in the morning (wide open for ~15 minutes) and overnight (fully closed). During the day we keep adding wood when it needs it and just leave the air control alone. I have ~20 feet of pipe and my wood is 2-3 years seasoned.
That's me. I'm thinking that it has a lot to do with climate and house conditions. We're pretty mild here and I rarely give any thought to the coal situation. To me, here, coals are a good thing and if I need to add wood, I'll rake forward and add. If not, I'll let them go. Under more severe conditions, I'd probably do things a bit different. With moderate conditions around here, I usually let the fire go out overnight and start a new one in the morning. If temps are going into the teens or singles, I'm more likely to keep a fire overnight. Lately, it's been going into the teens at night, so I adjust accordingly.

I've been running the stove the past few days like you guys suggested cutting the air back much sooner. The stove top and stack temps are staying a bit lower now. The secondary's seem to take longer to get full burn going though. Running it like you guys have suggested I can ever keep small to medium loads of the smaller splits I have under control.

Good deal. Are the burn times improving?

Status
Not open for further replies.