Lopi Liberty vs King 40- Log Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Magedon44

Jul 20, 2022
Loganto PA
Hello, from PA. I am considering a King40 or Lopi Liberty to heat a 22ft vaulting living room in our 3500 sq ft. log home. I am really just trying to heat the 2000 sq ft A frame vaulted living room and upstairs loft/bedrooms as in the kitchen I burn pellets. I like the idea of a large firebox in the king but feel the lopi will pump a warmer heat but for shorter amounts of time. I will be burning oak/maple and feel no stove will ever keep this place at 70+ in the dead of winter ( I hope im wrong). My gut tells me to go with the high BTU liberty and just feed it when it needs fed. I do however like the thought of a large firebox king 40 and getting longer burn times.

Curious from those of you who have been around both stoves. Which stove feels warmer when standing in front of it on high? Im so use to older non cat melt your face off type heat that I just dont see how a 40-50 BTU king is going to put off enough hot heat to carry into this room without feeling cold by the time its gets to the back of the room. I always wished my 47K btu pellet stove felt hotter so just dont wont to be disappointed in a a king. I do have 2 large ceiling fans.

Thanks for any advice.

The Liberty will radiate more heat. If you want a steel stove that is more radiant, look at the Drolet Austral III. It has no side shielding, so the clearances are larger, but that also means more radiant heat from the sides. Another big stove to consider would be the Regency 3500.

Reactions: Magedon44
The Liberty will radiate more heat. If you want a steel stove that is more radiant, look at the Drolet Austral III. It has no side shielding, so the clearances are larger, but that also means more radiant heat from the sides. Another big stove to consider would be the Regency 3500.
I was actually looking at the Regency 5200

If you are looking at a cat stove then that could be a good option. It's a hybrid with good top-end output, big capacity, and it qualifies for the tax credit on the full installation.

I went and drooled over a Lopi Liberty a few days ago at a local dealer's floor model. It's a darn monster and sure looks nice. Looks big enough to crawl in and take a nap inside on cold nights. ;)
I'm right on the fence of buying one, but due to "everything" going on in the world today, the retail price is now $4800, and with Tax and Delivery, we are over 5 grand!!! I remember buying a brand new Lopi many years ago for less than half that. Yikes!!!
4 years ago, I came so close to buying a Liberty, sure wish I would have.

The main reason I didn't is my raised hearth was custom built, out of concrete and stone, is 2" short on the front and side, and will require some major remodeling to fit a Liberty onto it. But I'm currently in the planning stages of "Lopi-expansion"!!!

Reactions: jmb6420