Lopi - Mystery Machine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jengah

Nov 27, 2015
Shaver Lake
Hi - This is for sale locally but I can't get any info on the model. Does anyone have any ideas as to what model it might be?

upload_2015-12-16_14-35-9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say but it looks smallish. Answer insert? It also looks like it has been run hot and hard.

Hard to say but it looks smallish. Answer insert? It also looks like it has been run hot and hard.
I should be able to get some measurements off of it later today, which I'll post up.

What are the ramifications if it was run "hot and hard"? I'm a NOOB to inserts.

Hot and hard as in overfired. That can cause warping, weld cracks and premature aging of the stove. The greyish paint around the door is a clear sign it's been run hot.

What are they asking for it? As a comparison you can get a decent insert of that size in the $1000-1200 range.

Hot and hard as in overfired. That can cause warping, weld cracks and premature aging of the stove. The greyish paint around the door is a clear sign it's been run hot.

What are they asking for it? As a comparison you can get a decent insert of that size in the $1000-1200 range.
Asking $200.

What would be things that I'd want to look for with premature again? Are their any deal killers (i.e. if a car was pushing out white smoke from the tailpipe)?

Warped or burned out secondary tubes, cracks inside the firebox, cracks along the secondary manifold, missing parts and bricks, controls not operating correctly, bad or missing door gasket, warped front door. Personally I would look for a low mileage well cared for stove and pass on this one.

Warped or burned out secondary tubes, cracks inside the firebox, cracks along the secondary manifold, missing parts and bricks, controls not operating correctly, bad or missing door gasket, warped front door. Personally I would look for a low mileage well cared for stove and pass on this one.
Like this Regency Model I from 2000, a guy restored and is selling for $800?
upload_2015-12-16_15-37-18.png

Reactions: mitchell721
Might be good but remember that paint and polish could make that first Lopi posting look a lot better too. Same caveats apply.
Most importantly will it fit and is it large enough to heat the area? Be sure to have your fireplace dimensions on hand when looking. Also remember the expense of putting in a liner.

First make sure that a non-EPA stove is even legal to install in your area. Hate to get it home and find out you wasted your money. The $600 increase in price would likely be made up pretty quickly in wood savings if you get an EPA approved stove.

That's a Lopi Freedom with the flush kit on it. It's missing the blower, that's probably the reason for the overfiring..
The door is solid brass so it'll look new with a little work. Just check for cracks and missing or warped secondary air tubes. That's really not even a big deal, a kit is about $100 I think.

Hmmm, the Freedom is 29 1/4" wide. That would make the hearth bricks about 14" wide. Are you sure?

The owner said the Lopi has a 26" wide body (29" wide on the top including the flanges) and is 20.25" tall with what looks like an 8" diameter vent hole on top (why he couldn't measure it at the same time I don't know... ).

I'm not sure what he means by the wider dimension.

The owner said the Lopi has a 26" wide body (29" wide on the top including the flanges) and is 20.25" tall with what looks like an 8" diameter vent hole on top (why he couldn't measure it at the same time I don't know... ).

I'm not sure what he means by the wider dimension.
It should have a 6" round flue collar on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.