Lopi Nexgen vs Hearthstone Clydesdale - advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jwaldinger

Oct 27, 2021
Massachusetts
Hi,

I am considering installing either a Lopi (large) NexGen Flush mount wood burning insert OR a Hearthstone Clydesdale with cat.

Total gross price is the same, however I can get 26% back as a tax credit on the Clydesdale only.

However! I can only get an installer with a not great online reputation to install the Clydesdale. For the Lopi, I can get an installer with a great online reputation- but he won’t install the Clydesdale because it is coming from a different shop.

Obviously a 26% tax credit is a lot - however, I am wary of the installer. It is approaching winter in New England and impossible to even get a return call from installers, let alone a quote or appointment.

Can anyone with knowledge of these models weigh in to help?

Thanks

Hi,

I am considering installing either a Lopi (large) NexGen Flush mount wood burning insert OR a Hearthstone Clydesdale with cat.

Total gross price is the same, however I can get 26% back as a tax credit on the Clydesdale only.

However! I can only get an installer with a not great online reputation to install the Clydesdale. For the Lopi, I can get an installer with a great online reputation- but he won’t install the Clydesdale because it is coming from a different shop.

Obviously a 26% tax credit is a lot - however, I am wary of the installer. It is approaching winter in New England and impossible to even get a return call from installers, let alone a quote or appointment.

Can anyone with knowledge of these models weigh in to help?

Thanks
Also, the Lopi is in stock and I’m not sure when the Clydesdale will be available.

The Clydesdale has been "coming soon" for quite a while now. You might also want to look at the Regency i2700 and Blaze King Sirocco 25 inserts.

Thanks. I agree it seems suspect that the dealer is telling me there is a delivery date.

The tax credit is significant, but I think the difference in stoves is not at all significant? 77% vs 73% efficient.

Also, the Lopi is in stock and I’m not sure when the Clydesdale will be available.
Wow, I just got told by one dealer yesterday and one other today that the soonest they could get a Lopi large or medium flush will be mid January here in Illinois. Also they claimed that I would get the 26% credit.

Yup, you are right. They don't qualify, and now I know not to trust those two Lopi dealers. I didn't like that one was insisting that they use 25 ft of non insulated flex pipe and charge $1100 for it either. As someone new to the fireplace world, I did not know about the Clydesdale and we like it. Guess its back to 3 choices again...