Lopi or Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodrocks

Dec 2, 2020
freedom nh
Greetings, Absolutely new to this forum thing, and thanks for the great info. Very impressive. Been burning wood most of my life and now that I'm looking to replace one of my stoves, and have discovered this forum resource, I have come to find that little did I know.., how little do I know...at least in and around the new wood stove technology, along with opportunity to receive like minded input on a given subject. Cut to the chase, I've been in this house built about 17 or n18 years ago. Center chimney. Passive solar. Independent photovoltaic electricity. Earth-bound, south facing cellar has credible assist in the total home insulation. Footprint, 24 by 36, open floor plan,center chimney and stairs take up space. In any event, I've been burning a home made 2 or 3 cubic ft stove in the bottom floor, whole home heat all this time with absolute heating success, although with excessive creosote excess, to say nothing of the dreadful out pour of unburned smoke of this beast. The first floor does have a Hearthstone Phoenix which I can't even begin to say how great that's been. Nonetheless, it's time to get real and practice responsibility.
I'm torn between the Lopi Endeavor or the Jotul Carrabassett to replace the reliable dragon in the basement. `I've seen lots of reviews on the Lopi but nearly anything on the Jotul. I must say, I have a bias to the Jotul since they're assembled right next door, and there is some degree of cast iron in the assemble. On the other hand, the Lopi seems a little easier to maintain and popular. Please respond with any comments.

The Endeavor is a 2cu ft stove while the Carrabassett is a 3cu ft stove. Sounds like you could get away with a 2cu ft stove like the Endeavor since you have the Phoenix to help out. The Jotul F45 Greenville is the same size as Endeavor and same look as Carrabassett.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorham Me is definitely just down the road from you but Woodstock VT is not that far and you definitely will want to consider a Woodstock https://www.woodstove.com/index.php/new-absolute-steel-hybrid.They have great reviews. They are not just assembled in the US like the Jotul, the woodstocks are made from scratch in VT and they normally would be glad to give you a tour and can customize a stove. (not sure in these days of Covid. Its a daytrip (RT 25 to Rumney NH and then RT 118 south to RT 4. The factory is in West Lebanon NH. I think few folks who take the time to visit the factory leave without buying one.

FYI, if you have creosote issues, it could be caused by marginally dried wood. If you ever open the stove door to feed wood and hear hissing from the wood, it may burn fine in your smoke dragon but you will most likely need to step up your game going with a modern EPA stove. My guess is down in Freedom you probably have a lot of red oak in your firewood mix and that takes 2 years of drying in sunny spot up off the ground with top covering. Ash, maple and birch may take less time. I think the number one posting on Hearth.com these days from new stove owners is a variation of "why doesnt my new stove run right" and the answer is by far that their wood just inst dry enough.

If this is a basement heater, are aesthetics that important? If not then I would probably put in a big Drolet like the HT3000 or a Myriad III. The Jotul F55 is a good stove and a steel stove at heart. I am not certain this warrants spending for the F55's cast iron jacket unless the basement is a place where folks hang out a lot. There are several other 3 cu ft stoves to choose from that would also do this job efficiently and cleanly.

Reactions: moresnow
Check the lead times on the stoves. I just heard from Jotul the lead time on their stoves is mid to late March unless your lucky enough to find on in stock somewhere.

I've owned two Lopi stoves (Answer and Republic 1750). They are solid, well-made stoves that can be run pretty hot (750 stovetop), though I avoid doing this. The Republic 1750 that I had temporarily installed in a 27 foot straight chimney drafted pretty well (maybe too well) even with a damper in the stovepipe - I really had to be careful to shut the air down early so it wouldn't run too hot too early. There were times I hung out for a half hour with a fan blowing over it and I watched the needle hit 800 degrees on the stovetop (no stove damage to report, but not something to leave unattended, in my opinion). It's probably worth knowing what your basement install means for chimney height.

Having endorsed Lopi, I will tell you that my next stove for my new remodel will be a Woodstock, so I second the advice to check them out given they are nearby and made (not just assembled) in the USA.

I've read that burn times (from fire to minimal coals to restart) tend to be shorter for Jotul than other stoves, with a friend who reported the same. So it would be worth getting some opinions on this from Jotul owners.

Thanks for the comments. I, at least was, considering either Lopi or Jotul only since they are two of the brands the local distributor carries that are renowned and somewhat reputable. They each have some appeal except for the firebox size. It would be nice to have something a little bigger. We're used to running one of the stoves at a time unless it's really cold. The cellar dweller is usually the primary heater. Although, we are trying different things this year, running the Phoenix more than usual.
Looks are not at all anything I need for this stove. Just reliability. I have glanced at the Drolet, and seen it in Northern Tool catalog along with a very inexpensive stove which I would not consider. Having looked further into the Drolet, it does look like a pretty well made stove, they've been around awhile and are made hear in Canada, reasonably priced and a large firebox to boot!. Sourcing one may be difficult, but I'm sure not impossible. Would love to hear from any Drolet owners for your review.
Yes, I have certainly had an eye on the Woodstock as well. A friend has an older model and loves it. The "Real Steel" or whatever it is has a pretty good price and they make or can make a "plane jane" version. Not sure if I want to go hybrid or catalytic yet, even though they're more efficient and better for the environment. I do plan on giving them a call.
Also, I do realize there is much back order on many stoves and have already figured that this will likely be a late winter or Spring purchase.
As far as draft goes, I too have have a straight chimney and about 30 feet, damper on the stove pipe seems to keep things tame. Never had a stove with a baffle set up there, so not sure what to expect.
As far a creosote and the firewood goes, yeah, I know, it's tough to always get it just right. True, we do have and burn a lot of oak. and Ike most of us do all we can to burn dry wood. Certainly a whole other topic right there.
Thanks again for the great advice.

There are many Drolet posts here. Search on Drolet in the title in this forum, Woodstock too. There's also a reviews section:

The Endevor is a 2cu ft stove while the Carrabassett is a 3cu ft stove. Sounds like you could get away with a 2cu ft stove like the Endevor since you have the Phoenix to help out. The Jotul F45 Greenville is same size as Endevor and same look as Carrabassett.
All great stoves fir sure. I am now into my 2nd year with my Greenville and I love it.
Quite, good burns, rugged, takes long logs. The stove drives us out even at -24 a couple of weeks ago here in Greenville, Maine. Our log hone sIace us approx 12 Sq feet. Buy a Jotul.

2020 thread. He ended up ordering a Woodstock Ideal Steel I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.