Lopi Revere Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrouseGunner

Mar 6, 2022
Northern Michigan
Hi Guys! You may have seen my earlier post. I went ahead and bought a Lopi revere which I plan to install in my masonry stone fireplace which has a 12x12 clay liner in good condition. I plan to remove this unit every spring and reinstall in December.

My question is this: since I’ll be removing and inspecting/cleaning this annually. Would it be ok to just use about 3-6 ft of stainless liner to guides the smoke through the smoke chamber and into the flue?

You could do the direct connect but... you will need a block off plate that seals off the upper firebox to the rest of the chimney, this is due to occasional creosote dropping down the chimney between the liner and chimney, you dont want that crud to land on top of a hot stove, but now that you have a blockoff plate you'll have to remove that when open burning and being careful not to damage the plate itself or mounting structure, in other words you'll going to be dealing with unnecessary pia issues.

Reactions: TheBigIron
You could do the direct connect but... you will need a block off plate that seals off the upper firebox to the rest of the chimney, this is due to occasional creosote dropping down the chimney between the liner and chimney, you dont want that crud to land on top of a hot stove, but now that you have a blockoff plate you'll have to remove that when open burning and being careful not to damage the plate itself or mounting structure, in other words you'll going to be dealing with unnecessary pia issues.
So in other words it may actually be easier to run a full liner than a blockoff plate?

The easiest thing would be to install an insulated liner, build a block off plate and permanently install the insert, build a nice patio with firepit for all of your open fire pleasures.

The manual says differently, but that may be outdated information?
You can do a direct connection if a few conditions are met. One is the liner needs to be sized appropriately for the stove. A 12x12 is way too large for a 6" stove. You need a full liner, probably an insulated one

Will you be pulling out the full liner every season to use the fireplace too?

My question is why in the world are you pulling the insert every year. That’s very bizarre.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
My question is why in the world are you pulling the insert every year. That’s very bizarre.
Because during The months when I don’t need it for heating I cannot give up the open hearth. Inserts, even the nicest ones are ugly in my opinion and even with a screen they cannot compare to a large open fire

Because during The months when I don’t need it for heating I cannot give up the open hearth. Inserts, even the nicest ones are ugly in my opinion and even with a screen they cannot compare to a large open fire
So put a freestanding stove elsewhere and keep the fireplace

Check your local codes, full liner is required in a lot of jurisdictions and should help the stove perform better. The unit has a great window you can view with, not sure why you’d want to pull it out every year. I have a fire pit and chimnea outside for summer fires.

Attachments

• IMG_8270.mov
    19.1 MB
The manual says differently, but that may be outdated information?
Yes you can do it according to code as long as your chimney is code compliant with all the required clearances etc. But you don't want to your performance will suffer greatly