Lopi smoke spill. Whats causing this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firefighter4634

Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2010
N.W. Iowa
I have a Lopi Republic 1750 that's about 6 years old. It started last year emitting light smoke out from under it when lighting it. It was coming out of the square opening in the bottom of the stove. It always would stop once the draft got going but it never did this in the past. I fired it up for the first time this year and did the same thing. I took all the firebrick out of and gave it a good cleaning and inspected the stove and saw no issues. It doesn't do this every time but more times than not. Any thoughts??

Is your chimney clean? How about the cap? Does this only happen when it’s warm, or does it happen when it’s cold too?

Ok. Chimneys don’t pull as hard when it’s warm outside. It may take a bit of time to get the chimney pulling. You can preheat the chimney with a torch or by lighting some quick burning newspaper before starting the fire.

Reverse draft is not uncommon when lighting the stove for the season from a cold start.

Last edited:
I have a Lopi 1750 insert.... I always use a torch to light a small piece of kindling to make sure it drafts up.... about 10% of the time it does not. When it does not draft up I open a window or two and let the torch run in the box for a minute or so until I get a flow going up. The first year I had the 1750 I smoked out my living room pretty good a few times (much to my wife's dismay). Opening a window I found was key.

Note: I have a monster 35' chimney tube and live in Seattle where it really is not all that cold (relatively).

Have you removed the baffle bricks and cleaned above the baffle? It’s almost always overlooked and is often the problem.

Reactions: begreen
If opening the window corrected the problem, look to see if you have negative draft from kitchen/bath fans or a furnace. Wet wood or a dirty chimney can also be culprits.