Lopi Yankee glass Gasket replace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchman1000

Feb 17, 2014
Michigan
I can't keep the glass clean...again. we had a backup and had to shut the stove down. While off but still smoldering I had smoke coming out from the bottom of the glass area. ( can't see it directly) had the gaskets replaced 2/3 years ago. mmmm after talking to my wife who cleans the glass, I find out she sprays the glass with Ammonia water and lets it soak. Obviously it runs down into the gasket. Can I seal the glass with RTV? I think I can get to the outside seam (hidden) and inside to run a bead to seal it. Cosmetics be damned, no one can see it. Looking for a cheap fix. Last time the glass gasket was fixed it was $100. Can I do it myself? I am somewhat mechanical.

I did the silicone try for a stove,because it was middle of winter.Worked ok for the people but was a little harder cleanup in the summer,he had to scrape some,no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.