Lopo hybrid in new fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RussT

Sep 23, 2021
Lemont IL
Alright, here's a good one: If I'm building a new house and install a 75% stove, will I be able to charge for the chimney build? I am a mason and I wouldn't do anything my accountant advises against, but if there's any way to get credit for that, I would do everything in my power to claim on it. I imagine I could have one of my guys act as the contractor and have him invoice me. That part I would definitely be asking my accountant about though..

Trust your accountant. He can read the 25D Federal Tax Credit to make certain you are covered.

Alright, here's a good one: If I'm building a new house and install a 75% stove, will I be able to charge for the chimney build? I am a mason and I wouldn't do anything my accountant advises against, but if there's any way to get credit for that, I would do everything in my power to claim on it. I imagine I could have one of my guys act as the contractor and have him invoice me. That part I would definitely be asking my accountant about though..
The heat losses to masonry make it a poorer match to a high efficiency stove because the flue gases are cooler. Then there are the clearances and flue liner size matching. If building new, why use a masonry chimney? An insulated, stainless chimney system is going to operate better and will stay cleaner.

Reactions: EbS-P
The heat losses to masonry make it a poorer match to a high efficiency stove because the flue gases are cooler. Then there are the clearances and flue liner size matching. If building new, why use a masonry chimney? An insulated, stainless chimney system is going to operate better and will stay cleaner.
And save you a ton of $$$.

Thanks, I had finally settled on the T6 sized Summit, but that’s a good $1500 loss if it’s not eligible
I got the Large Lopi as it has the biggest viewing glass and we liked the look of it. I went into it knowing it's not eligible but I am happy with my choice nevertheless. So as long as you got the one you wanted regardless, it will be great.

I imagine I could have one of my guys act as the contractor and have him invoice me. That part I would definitely be asking my accountant about though..
Legal/tax/moral issues aside, unless your "guy" has a license and insurance, and is in the business of being an independent contractor, you would sure be asking him to hang his butt way out there doing this. Of course, if he's judgement proof, he may not care. And, if he's smart, he would agree to bill you at the shop rate, then pay you his hourly rate. Only fair.

As a long time small business owner, unless there's something I don't know, asking an employee to do that, would feel rude to me. Not dumping on you, just bringing up something you haven't considered yet.

And, yeah, masonry flue, don't do it. If you really want one, I have two, and I'd be happy to send both to you. Class A just works so much better. Use your skills to go as wild as you want around the stove, but do yourself a favor and incorporate a Class A tube. I don't think a day goes by that I don't think about my masonry without also thinking of a jackhammer.

Legal/tax/moral issues aside, unless your "guy" has a license and insurance, and is in the business of being an independent contractor, you would sure be asking him to hang his butt way out there doing this. Of course, if he's judgement proof, he may not care. And, if he's smart, he would agree to bill you at the shop rate, then pay you his hourly rate. Only fair.

As a long time small business owner, unless there's something I don't know, asking an employee to do that, would feel rude to me. Not dumping on you, just bringing up something you haven't considered yet.

And, yeah, masonry flue, don't do it. If you really want one, I have two, and I'd be happy to send both to you. Class A just works so much better. Use your skills to go as wild as you want around the stove, but do yourself a favor and incorporate a Class A tube. I don't think a day goes by that I don't think about my masonry without also thinking of a jackhammer.
Wow, I never would have guessed so many people would be against masonry chimneys! My uncle years ago salvaged a few hundred fire brick off a job. I got angry because they have been sitting at our yard for the last like 15 years unused, but I have been thinking of using them to really insulate the chimney with. The whole house is brick all around (I'm a bricklayer) and so the chimney really wouldn't be that much extra for me to do. I have a smaller wood stove insert that I am planning to put in the basement directly below the insert and so I could put the 2 flues in the same chimney that way. I am thinking if I had mentioned that last detail, a masonry chimney might have made a bit more sense, but I'm not an expert.

Also, I just got let down by a local fireplace dealer: He said he could get me the Hybrid fyre by Lopi and then I'm ready to write the check and I ask for like the 5th time to make sure that it's the Hybrid and not Nex-Gen and... I just want to know why Lopi stopped manufacturing a highly sought after fireplace that hits above 75% HHV! They should really start manufacturing them again lol

My Dr. build a new house a few years ago. He had, at great expense, a masonry fireplace built as part of the home.

I'm in his office and he tells me about how he's putting and Ashford 30 in his home. I asked a few questions only to learn that he grew up in the 1970's with a masonry fireplace in Orofino ID. He said, "This is they way we always installed our stoves in the past".

Well, today's stoves are vastly more efficient than the stoves he grew up with. With great gains in efficiencies, we also experienced reduced stack temperatures. That's ok to because we also have vastly fewer chimney fires due to increased awareness and product refinement.

When we removed an old furnace from our basement, we had to take out more than 500 "real" used bricks. They were made locally before 1895. I had them stacked on pallets in my back yard for years. I opted for a metal chimney system versus using what was already there and boy am I happy I did so.

The amazing thing is one day the wife has a yard sale. I sold an old parts car to a guy so we started loading the 4-door, gutted 65 Malibu and he looks over at all my brick. He made the mistake of bringing his wife because she says, "what are you doing with all those old brick?"

I said, I'm loading them our your car trailer for $1.00 each! I got more for the brick than the parts car!

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P
My Dr. build a new house a few years ago. He had, at great expense, a masonry fireplace built as part of the home.

I'm in his office and he tells me about how he's putting and Ashford 30 in his home. I asked a few questions only to learn that he grew up in the 1970's with a masonry fireplace in Orofino ID. He said, "This is they way we always installed our stoves in the past".

Well, today's stoves are vastly more efficient than the stoves he grew up with. With great gains in efficiencies, we also experienced reduced stack temperatures. That's ok to because we also have vastly fewer chimney fires due to increased awareness and product refinement.

When we removed an old furnace from our basement, we had to take out more than 500 "real" used bricks. They were made locally before 1895. I had them stacked on pallets in my back yard for years. I opted for a metal chimney system versus using what was already there and boy am I happy I did so.

The amazing thing is one day the wife has a yard sale. I sold an old parts car to a guy so we started loading the 4-door, gutted 65 Malibu and he looks over at all my brick. He made the mistake of bringing his wife because she says, "what are you doing with all those old brick?"

I said, I'm loading them our your car trailer for $1.00 each! I got more for the brick than the parts car!
haha! $1/brick for fire brick is about right for used ones around here, so definitely a fair deal. Bet you were happy to get rid of them!

Reactions: BKVP