losing heat up my flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

buck0123

Mar 19, 2014
ny
I have a Aqua-therm wood boiler (pressurized) hooked to my oil boiler in the garage. wood boiler constantly circulates hot water thru the oil boiler. Feed from wood boiler goes into return of the oil boiler and feed from oil boiler returns to wood boiler. my issue is to much heat being lost thru flue.

The oil boiler flue or the wood boiler? Or both?

Two ways, one would be a damper on the oil boiler flue, I think field controlls makes it, not sure I’d go that route. Or you could pipe the boilers parallel, this means there is common or shared piping between both boilers, causing no flow through the dormant boiler, thus when your on wood there’s no flow through the oil boiler so no stack losses.

No, you will have to wire the aqua stat to be a cold start boiler, how do you get your dwh currently, coil in boiler, superstore as a separate zone or elec, propane ?

I have a wiring schematic for a for a wood and backup heat source, piped parallel, it assumes the dwh source is not the oil boiler coil. If you pm me with a phone number I’ll send you a pic

I don't really see much way around that if you are heating your DHW with your oil boiler in the summer. You would be losing heat even if your wood boiler wasn't running.

Unless I'm not understanding something.

Automtic damper - I have one on my masonry heater. Work great

Attachments

• B9F52006-DBBD-4FDD-9CC0-77A9BC596702.jpeg
    B9F52006-DBBD-4FDD-9CC0-77A9BC596702.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 268