Lost my mind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Perhaps I'm too addicted... today is a very nice day here, the temp is supposed to be near 80 for the high and mostly sunny. All I keep thinking about is how much I'm looking forward to making progress on splitting that pile of rounds next to the driveway when I get home tonight. Time to call the doc? Enough is enough?

Oh well, back to work - it will make the day go by faster so I can get home and... :)

Nah, you are fine. I'm two years ahead, and I split up a face cord of pine yesterday even though I had no real NEED to do so. It's like having money in the bank. And, as John Steinbeck once said, "there are only two measures of money: no money and not enough money."

Keep splittin'!

It's not just you.

It's all of us.

I just ordered $400+ of lumber to be dropped at the house for my new 10+ cord woodshed going up this weekend. and i'm gonna have to move every stick of it past the 4+ cords I have sitting dumped in the driveway already!

Gonna be one of them "2 years ahead" guys if it kills me :)

Your just fine!! It's better to have and not need than need and not have! Plus.... it's nice to know you are good to go. By the way, I'm good for maybe 2 and I just got a load of cross tie ends lastnight. I can't wait to get started on splitting.
Oh yae! Feel the back spasm coming just thinking about it! ;)

90 minutes to go :)

I'm not yet done with next years pile so I'm still playing catch up.. BUT that pile is looking very nice to me. It is more than I had last year and all of it will be at least 2 years old by this fall, much of it 3 or more so I'm feeling like it will be a good year. Once I get these rounds split and stacked (they measure out about 30% just after splitting so I'm sure they will be plenty ready for this fall - they are two years old, but just need splitting now) I'll be down to less than a cord to go to make my 5 cord goal. Ahh...

Mostly I wonder if i"m crazy for wanting to get home to split wood rather than play with the kids. But I think that may have to do with how close I am to being 'done' with this years supply. Of course that pile of 10' green logs at the end of the driveway is another matter, heh... 10/11 supply here I come!

I don't think it will ever end will it - well, it has to since I'll be out of space soon. I don't have as much space as so many of the other folks posting around here seem to have. I am on about 1/2 acre and most of the space is not very useful so I have to keep things stacked close and clean up as I go.

You do what you gotta' do! As far as the kidz, I have mine help me by standing up a few rounds and as I split they pick up and set the next victim! They love to watch dad sweet! They sometimes ask when we are going to split more wood?!?!

I just got all the rounds in my yard split and piled, Some of them in my yard since december. Now I cannot wait to go out and bring home that Maple and Ash trees that I have been thinking about for a while. And My buddy has some more Hemlock for me also.

Looking forward to splitting wood with temps in the 80's? You must be sick.

I try to get all my work done before it gets up to those temps. The only thing I look forward to when it hits 80 is a nice cold beer. Back when I worked construction, I would work the Winters and take the Summers off if my wallet was fat enough.

"Perhaps I’m too addicted"

Nah!!

You are totally normal.
At least that's what everyone else
on here told me. "I'M NORMAL" too
so you must be too.

Personally I think we are all just a little not right
but I won't tell if you don't

I don't usually like to split wood when it is 80 out. I shoot for early mornings or after supper when it is cooler. My kids actually like to watch me split wood. They sit on some big rounds and continually comment on how acurate or fast I split the wood. They also like to help stack the smaller pieces. I say make it a family event.

It was only 68 yesterday but bright sunshine, me and the kids were out stacking... i was sweating my ass off. today supposed to be 85, and i dont want to but i may have to get out there for a while, got about another cord to stack. i told myself this was going to get done, and i wasnt going to touch the boat till it was done. but next weekend i have to haul it down to mass and need to do some other stuff to the trailer. so i REALLY need to get this stuff stacked!

I've been trying to bust a$$ as well to get 2 years ahead, and before the heat hits. Splitting in the middle of Summer here in the hot humid South is NO FUN....

WANDERING NAMELESSLEE said:
Ja, 78 here today. I fired up the processor at 12:15 this afternoon and by 3:45 had 2 cord stacked in the wood shed. The whole time , my wife feeding me ICE COLD KEYSTONES!!!! :cheese:
thats quick!

pulldownclaw said:
I've been trying to bust a$$ as well to get 2 years ahead, and before the heat hits. Splitting in the middle of Summer here in the hot humid South is NO FUN....

Same for me in AR. Even though I have 2 years worth stacked, I cut an ice-damaged tree down last Sat. mornig. (temps were in the mid 40's) We don't get many days in May that are that cool. Just couldn't pass up such an opportunity. Plus, the tree was only 30 feet into the woods. Got 15 good rounds out of it.

"Hello, my name is David, and I am an addict too"
Group says: "Hello David, welcome to our world" :)

Slow1, it helps all of us addicts if we see some pictures.

Right now the temp sits at 87, no splitting or stacking going on.

Maybe I'll just sit in the shade with a cooler of beer and look at my 15-16 cords stacked and drying.

KC

I was thinking of taking up watercolors and panting a picture of my woodpile and garden cart.

skinnykid said:
I just got all the rounds in my yard split and piled, Some of them in my yard since december. Now I cannot wait to go out and bring home that Maple and Ash trees that I have been thinking about for a while. And My buddy has some more Hemlock for me also.

hey where ya been???? people are looking for you in another post!!!

guys enjoy .... i will split a little more this summer but i like to split the future stuff in oct-dec no bugs or anything

All kidding aside.... I have never felt better in recent years as I do now that I'm gathering wood. This is my first time heating with wood in 20 years. The wife has noticed a slimmer me! I will continue to gather through the summer even though I have most of next years wood ready.

Happy heating!!

I have the next 2 years c/s/s already and still cannot pass up a good scrounge. I was splitting some red oak rounds the other day that I scrounged a few weeks back and it felt good. Nothing wrong with getting ahead and it's like money in the bank. Last winter I was scrambling to keep up with wood and wound up burning a lot of standing dead and punky wood. After reading and learning on here I am determined to have good dry wood to burn from here on, and stay at least 2 years ahead. If the winters are warmer then I have three years worth. Either I feel good that I am edumicated now. Some of my friends think I am obsessed but I am just planning :)

No kidding. I have alot of wood laying around that I'm trying to get laid up, and am trying to get it done before the heat and humidity, but I am definitely looking forward to a little break this Summer. That being said, I will never pass up on a good scrounge. I work in a "industrial" (crappy) part of town, and last month I noticed a huge pile of brush piled up next to a dumpster by a business/office building and went over to check it out. Probably about 1.5 cords or so of red oak and pine in the pile! Woo hoo! Tree service must have dumped it to try and avoid the fee to take it to the dump. What's nice is that there's no one else around this part of town that would want it or notice it, so I've been taking a load home every night in my '93 Honda Civic! I win again!!! My wife thinks I'm crazy smuggling wood home, but she won't be complaining come Winter! :cheese:

Wood burning is at least a nice, productive form of insanity. I'm a new wood burner, and I find myself fairly compulsive about the gathering and processing at times. I guess it's like a virus, and just has to run its course. ;-) I occasionally end up standing next to dumpsters, gathering pallets, pallet wood, plywood, and such. I'm going to build a woodshed with it. :lol:

I had my first Craigslist style score just the other day. Actually, it was just a pile of wood left out by the curb with a sign reading "Free Wood". People in the neighborhood passed it by for nearly a week. It didn't look like much, and it wasn't really, but it proved well worth grabbing. Some Maple rounds on top concealed that the remaining 2/3 was split Oak and perhaps some Chestnut or Hickory. Hard to tell as the bark was long gone on the splits. Clearly it's the remnants of someones' old wood pile, fully seasoned and ready to burn in the fall. Heavy and dry, it 'clinks' together like the proverbial baseball bat. The GF tipped me off about this wood, BTW. She loves the wood stove and regrets that the season is drawing to a close.

This week I will start gathering more Oak deadwood at my friend's place. He always seems to have plenty for me. Splits easy and seasons pretty fast. MC should be low enough to burn in the fall or by mid winter also (if necessary). I'll be moving maybe 1-2 cords as rounds. My 1 ton van holds about a half cord easily.

Add this to the roughly 2 cords that remain on site here, and I'll be in very good shape for the fall. Will keep adding to it as opportunities come along. It turns out I used maybe 2 cords max out of about 4 cords this past season. I was therefore 1 year ahead, last fall. I'd be very happy to get 2 years ahead now, this summer.

my brother in law in NY has most of his 4 cords of hardwood (log length) already cut and split, and his wood shed built so my sister doesn't have to dig under snow, tarps (to keep the snow off), and tires (to keep the tarps from blowing away). He already has a good supply of soft wood (shoots for 4 cords) left from last year. He burns about 8 cords a year in his CB OWB to heat a two family house in lake placid, NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.