Lots of ash.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
The woods behind my parents house has so much dead ash and some of it has started up rooting and falling in storms. Since some of my oak isn't ready I got some work done today. Hopefully it's drier than my oak. There are atleast 15 more trees within a 30ft radius of this location. Fiskars made quick work with the bungee cord and it was a life saver on time and my back. Measuring roughly .4 cords. Not bad for 4 hours of work. Also 2 full gorilla cart loads in my car.
20191227_101656.jpg20191227_110015.jpg20191227_141948.jpg20191227_144223.jpg

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I love it when straight-grained wood splits like that.

Reactions: KC Matt
That's a nice problem to have! Ash is great firewood but around here, the bottom 5-10 feet is always rotted and infested with carpenter ants due to EAB hitting 8 or so years ago. Back then my yard had 10 ash trees and I took down the last five 3 years ago. I'd take ash over oak any day because the oak takes forever to season and the BTU isn't that far apart.

Enjoy your warm winters!

Reactions: Stinkpickle
These 3 all fell within the past 6 months with most of them suspended off the ground. Hope to take care of the other one sooner rather than later even if I just stack it where it is for the time being.

Nice, easy get! >> I use a shorter chopping block, like 6-8", cut from a gnarly stump or crotch piece that won't split when impacted.