Lotta wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
Neighbors just had about 15 trees dropped. Mostly Ash and Sassafras. I get it all.

I don’t have room for that much split and stacked. Would it be okay to just throw the rounds in a big pile in the woods until I can get time and space?
Not a bad problem to have.
IMG_4635.jpg
IMG_4636.jpg

I would split/stack them instead of stacking them in round form. Might as well start the seasoning process.

Use some saplings or branch wood to stack on and keep them off the ground. I don't think either is known to punk in the round. If you halve them it would probably assure they stay rot free and they won't roll but either way I think you'd be good. I have sassafras here, nothing to write home about as far as firewood so if your making choices choose the ash.

I would cut them into rounds and stack them off the ground in the woods if you don't have space for them at your house, they both will stay for quite awhile in round form without having any issues and both dry pretty quickly when split.

That is one great score!

I had 6 cords in the woods two years ago, split and stacked. If he let's you, do either, I've stacked rounds in the woods too, didnt have time to split.

Wherever/however you store them, air and off the ground help. The power company just came through and cut a volunteer walnut that interfered with the lines. I discovered the little logs over there from the branches they took off. I used two nearby small trees -- the crooks in the branches - to stack/store the stuff until I cut it shorter.

I'd at least cut them into rounds and stack them off the ground. They will season very, very, very, very slowly in rounds so get them split asap. Even if you have to restack them right there in the woods.
If you're talking a month or so in a heap, no biggee but longer than that you really should get them off the ground.

I was out of rack space so I had to stack about 1/3 cord of splits on the ground until the space cleared up. I kept it covered with wood boards. The other rounds I covered with a tarp which should last a couple months. Somewhere around 3mo you can start losing the bottom layer to decay.

If you can cover them and stack them on pallets they should last a long time (just won't season much until split).

Regardless how you start processing them just get them off the ground and that will be a world of difference. Nice score as well!

It all about reducing to moisture. If it's tightly stacked on the ground it will begin to get punkey.
What you need to do depends how long you want to leave it there. I'd get it off the ground, loose criss cross stack.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Have to agree with all the posts about getting it off the ground, especially as wet as this (oops, it's 2019 now)...last year was. Keep it simple in the woods, use stuff you don't mind sacrificing, or would not be burning, to stack the good logs (or rounds) on. Scrounge around for scrap logs, branches, or other dead and down stuff and use that to stack the good wood on. Any air flow underneath is better than none.

Reactions: jaoneill
What you show in the pics appears small enough that it should halve easily. I'd knock the rounds in half and stack them (on poles) right where they are and they will at least start the seasoning process......

You said the trees were dropped. I've just had some experience with some ash trees that should have been dropped much sooner. They had gone to a reasonable amount of punk. I think you're looking at a great score, but just poke around a little with each one before you fully invest in processing.

I'd view any ash tree that dropped itself as suspect. When the trunks and major limbs just break, give it a good once-over before you commit.

Reactions: jaoneill