Loud bang...now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarr

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2012
Southbury, CT
Last night the Regency was humming along and then BANG. Quite a loud noise. Scared my dog into hiding in another room.

I was cruising at the usual 500F and everything seemed fine. No smoke or anything.

I decided to turn the fan from low to high, and suddenly a bunch of paint chips started shooting out.
So the question is now what? What happened, and is my stove safe to use?
Should I be looking for something somewhere?

Luckily I think the burn season is now officially over for me.

Thanks for any help.

If end of the season do a good cleaning and then follow with an extra thorough inspection for a cracked weld. If possible also pull off the rear heat shield and investigate why the paint chips showed up in the blower. Is the secondary manifold intake there? If so that would be worth closely investigating. Also pull the baffle and possibly bricks to investigate the secondary manifold and firebox interior.

Reactions: chazcarr
My phone has never shown signatures, not sure why?

That's a good stove, I'm curious what happened..

On my phone I always have to go into the users profile then information to see their signature.

My phone has never shown signatures, not sure why?

That's a good stove, I'm curious what happened..

Just turn your phone sideways and the sigs will appear!

My hampton hi300 made a loud bang once when i opened door while it was pretty darn hot. Couldn't find much but will soon do a thorough cleaning and look again.

Most likely a weld gave loose. This happened to my stove several times before the bypass plate completely came off of rod. I started having these pops and bang the last year I had my stove. When I removed the stove and was able to inspect the interior better I could see where several welds had popped loose and I had some cracks. My stove was over 25 years old and was over fired several times before I had moved into my house. I could tell by some warping on the interior baffle plates. I would make sure to inspect it to make sure you don't have any cracks that have opened up.
Picture 055.jpg

Not mine. I've got all my setting on the allow signatures, since the format changed its been this way.

Oh ok, i think im still using old hearth layout

Thanks everyone, I will check it out.
It is really difficult to pull it out to inspect, but I will try.
If I find a crack, will Regency replace it? It is only 5 years old at this point.

I heard a loud "bang" out of the Buck one time. I examined the welds as best I could, and couldn't see anything amiss. I called Buck and they said that possibly one of the plate-steel firebox walls had flexed as the stove cooled off. That seemed to me to be a good explanation, based on the actual type of sound I heard.

Reactions: webby3650
I heard a loud "bang" out of the Buck one time. I examined the welds as best I could, and couldn't see anything amiss. I called Buck and they said that possibly one of the plate-steel firebox walls had flexed as the stove cooled off. That seemed to me to be a good explanation, based on the actual type of sound I heard.
That happens with fireplaces a lot, theres a very good chance that this is what happened.

Chazz - - like others have said, hot steel boxes tend to make noise and my old Regency I3100 made a loud bang twice in 6 yrs that I recall. Mine never broke a weld and best I could tell it was just steel flexing. I don't run mine as hot as you may since I tend to let mine cruise around 400 dF.
If yours has dropped a weld or cracked somewhere else, Regency will indeed honor their lifetime warranty, but they require going through the selling dealer for almost all comms.
Regency did replace my I3100 last summer due to two cracks in the plate steel at the lower corners of the "door opening". Hope you find no problems with yours, but if there is Regency will do right by ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.