Loud banging from Chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jul 1, 2021
WA Australia
Hi Folks
I just moved into a new home which came with a sizeable wood fire. The brand is a 'Jarrahdale Convector' which is a local company from Western Australia. I'm burning local dried Jarrah wood.
Since I moved in 2 weeks ago, every time I run the fire I get an intermittent clang or banging noise.
It's starts with the sound of small specks of falling creosote and culminates in a really loud bang which sounds like metal or steel being thumped. It seems to happen more with a hotter fire and can occur every few minutes or run for hrs before happening.
I had the chimney swept on Monday by a local reputable chimney sweep but the sound has persisted since.
Any help would be appreciated it's driving me mental.

Attachments

• InShot_20210701_143142482.mp4
    2.1 MB
It sounds like something is expanding and then releasing tension. Have the dealer contact the stovepipe and chimney manufacturer.