Loud noise coming from burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

daver112

Jan 16, 2022
Wales
Surely, this isn’t normal. I appreciated expansions and contraction of metal. But this noise will randomly start happening mid burner. It’s when the flames get high and hit the top of the burner mainly. Would there be something loose on the flue insert?

It’s a grisdale wood burner. Less than a year old.

Flames don't have any "pushing power" to move things. The clangs are expanding metal. The drier knocks I can't place but I suspect also expanding metal.

ok thanks, yeah I’m aware they don’t have any force behind them. I just can’t see how the wood burner is expanding for 4-6 hours. In otherwords the tings never stop and are very loud

But you said that "It’s when the flames get high and hit the top of the burner mainly".
That's not random (you see a correlation with the flame pattern), and when flames hit a certain part, things get hot and expansion happens. Even midburn, if flames start to hit something more than before that something will heat up further.

Ah yes, I suppose. It’s jus very annoying. I always expect expansion etc. but never that loud. It’s a shame as we really like the burner. But having that noise for the duration of the burn isn’t worth it haha