Love my LED Floods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
When I first built the house I put in halogen floods on all four sides of the house. They were cheap and put out a lot of light. I also added a pole mounted halogen flood later on my driveway. Unfortunately I discovered that halogen bulbs do not last long and they last even shorter if the fixture is vibrated when its on. My pole mount light had that issue when the snow plow guy would be pushing snow. On occasion with the light on, the snow would push on the pole and shake it and I would lose the bulb. I would be without a light until I finally got around to putting an extension ladder on a round pole and hoping it didn't slide sideways. I finally switched to an LED flood and its been fine since. I did go a bit overboard on sizing and it lights up a very large area. I had picked up another lower wattage LED for a frequently used flood on my house but was waiting for the bulb to break. It broke a few months ago but in getting ready for snow season I swapped in the new LED. The PITA for the LED floods I have seen and bought is they don't use the same form factor as the older halogen floods which were usually a cast aluminum housing with threaded fittings. A threaded conduit would be used to connect the light to aluminum cover for an electrical box that had three tapped holes. The light was supported by the pipe and it made wiring fast. The new LEDs usually are a slightly larger form factor and use a bracket type mounting with a short pig tail wire stuck out the power supply. This means I have to remove the old light then come up with way to mount the light and then find a way to wire it into the old box. I had some nylon threaded cable bushings left over in my stash from solar work so I grabbed one and with a thread adaptor bushing from my fitting bucket it screwed into the old cover. It was a tight fit as the light sits under the soffits at the peak of the gable end but with some cedar spacers I got everything to fit. This was all done mostly one handed off an extension ladder.

I checked to see if it worked during daylight and then waited until dark. I hit the button and got my driveway back. I swear the LED has a wider beam pattern than the halogen floods. The halogen lights up the center brighter but it fades out on the edges. The LED seems to be more uniform. I am glad that I went with a 100 watt equivalent instead of the 300 watt on my pole as I expect my neighbors would not appreciate it. The surprising thing with these floods is the price has not dropped a as quickly as the household LED. I think I paid $100 for the 300 watt flood several years ago and paid around $70 about a year ago for the 100 Watt. I see Amazon carries then for two for $100 these days. There are really high output lights in the same form factor that I expect might be good for lighting up a large parking lot but too much for me.

I do need to mess with the flood I just installed this spring as I have had bird nests up on this gable end flood in the past. It was getting cold to do more work but I need to go up in the spring and put in some hardware cloth to keep the birds out as even the LED fixture gets hot and its not good to have birds nest on it. I have heard of a few house fires caused by bird nests on halogen lights. Hopefully once that is done I wont need to mess with it again.

Reactions: ben94122
I've had 8 standard LED Floods on the outside of our house for about 5 years now without any issues...which is a good thing because they are all about 20 ft. above the ground.

Last edited:
I have one of these, red motion light works and I can hear the click when the lights are supposed to come on but they don't. I will not be buying any LED fixtures that do not have removable bulbs.
Amazon product ASIN B004NI8F5C

I must admit the brands are whatever pops up on amazon. They only have one emitter that is a yellow square about 1/2"by 1/2".

I bought para 38 led floods from Lowes about 3 years ago. The para 38 shape perfectly replaced the halogen bulbs in the same fixture. They have a nice bright light and I love the energy savings. They light up instantly unlike outdoor florescent bulbs in cold weather. Just make sure to get flood and not spot lights. They are on every morning when we let the dog out and never a problem.

I replaced the CFL floods I put in to save money when they first came out with LED floods several years ago. Much better. CFL floods take a while to heat up and get to full brightness in the winter.

I climed up 2 stories with the LED floods and noticed that they weren't the same, like they were suppose do be. One was burned out. Not even the right brand. Looks like someone put his burned out old bulb in the box and returned it to Home Depot.

Similarly, I was at Walmart on Friday for motor oil and an oil filter. A box for the $9.97 Mobil 1 oil filter had the bottom shelf $3.97 oil filter in it. Someone must have switched boxes to steal a $10 oil filter in the $4 box to scan.

I replaced the CFL floods I put in to save money when they first came out with LED floods several years ago. Much better. CFL floods take a while to heat up and get to full brightness in the winter.

I climed up 2 stories with the LED floods and noticed that they weren't the same, like they were suppose do be. One was burned out. Not even the right brand. Looks like someone put his burned out old bulb in the box and returned it to Home Depot.

Similarly, I was at Walmart on Friday for motor oil and an oil filter. A box for the $9.97 Mobil 1 oil filter had the bottom shelf $3.97 oil filter in it. Someone must have switched boxes to steal a $10 oil filter in the $4 box to scan.

I once bought a vacuum from Lowe's that ended up being a different model that was also full of dirt.

I've swapped out all but one of our halogens to LED but I'm using PAR replacements so they're easy to replace when they go dim or die. The last halogen almost never gets used so it might be a while yet. I have one left of CFL PAR and they do be a little pink and dim when they're cold.

LED's, fluorescent, none of them stand up the the old incandescent bulbs. I won't argue power usage, but as far as longevity/cost, the old ones were hard to beat. We've had both florescent, and LED bulbs last under a year. We've had incandescent last 10 years or more. As far as power consumption, I can't tell the difference after the LED install, same with Florescents.