john84 Posted By john84, May 11, 2018 at 8:12 AM

1. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    Does anyone have experience with lowcosttreefarm.com? They are located in NY. I am looking to buy 25-30 green giant arborvitae's and they quoted me a good price.

The only problem they are long drive for me, I don't want to waste my time if the tree quality isn't great.

Thanks

2. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    They also run out of Grand Isle, VT. Maybe that's closer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    Could be I will look into it. They offer delivery for $10/tree, the pictures look like quality plants but you never know I would hate to order them and have the be low quality. I would also hate to drive 4 hrs with a trailer to be disappointed.

4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Find out how tall the plants are. I was seeing a lot of them advertised as 2-4 foot plants. You could possibly fit them all in the bed of a small pickup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    You might want to give your local nursery a chance to match the quote. They might surprise you.

6. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    The price I received was $65 for 6' green giants picked up and $75 delivered.

7. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    What can the manager of your local nursery give you? I bet, since they don't need to store them and have an immediate sale, they can give you a real good price.

8. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    Last time I checked they were $100 picked up, I will talk to them again now that I received this quote see how close they can get.

9. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    4 hr trip with trailer maybe 15 gpm so roughly 175 miles round trip /15 = about 12 gallons of fuel at 2.75/gal= $33 + your 4hr time sounds like the local nursery would be cheaper. plug your own numbers in for a closer estimate. bonus local nursery you can pick your plants and they might have a guarantee on them, should that arise local would be somewhat easier to deal with. just some thoughts.

10. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I happen to be at my local nursery at the moment. They have 4ft arborvitae for $50 each. I bet they could come down a good deal if I wanted 20-30 of them.

11. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    I'll stop by the nursery Monday see what they can do and go from there.

I need to get something planted soon for a privacy hedge to block a new development on one side of my house.

12. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    http://www.hewitts.com/weekly-specials/

Hey, how'd the tree thing turn out? My local nursery is offering 5' plants for $65. I'm not sure what a #10 pot is, but the list price is much higher and it being offered for a few dollars more.

Was your local guy able to beat the online guy's price with your quantity order?

13. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    The local guy could not match the price, I talked to another nursery they would sell them for $75 but they were in 7 gal pots and pretty skinny plants.

I need to check a few more nurseries but I haven't had much free time.

14. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Keep looking! There's usually a place where the landscapers buy their plants. They aren't going to order stuff in from the internet each job!