Low cost tree farm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john84

Oct 22, 2013
Mass
Does anyone have experience with lowcosttreefarm.com? They are located in NY. I am looking to buy 25-30 green giant arborvitae's and they quoted me a good price.

The only problem they are long drive for me, I don't want to waste my time if the tree quality isn't great.

Thanks

Could be I will look into it. They offer delivery for $10/tree, the pictures look like quality plants but you never know I would hate to order them and have the be low quality. I would also hate to drive 4 hrs with a trailer to be disappointed.

Find out how tall the plants are. I was seeing a lot of them advertised as 2-4 foot plants. You could possibly fit them all in the bed of a small pickup.

You might want to give your local nursery a chance to match the quote. They might surprise you.

What can the manager of your local nursery give you? I bet, since they don't need to store them and have an immediate sale, they can give you a real good price.

Last time I checked they were $100 picked up, I will talk to them again now that I received this quote see how close they can get.

4 hr trip with trailer maybe 15 gpm so roughly 175 miles round trip /15 = about 12 gallons of fuel at 2.75/gal= $33 + your 4hr time sounds like the local nursery would be cheaper. plug your own numbers in for a closer estimate. bonus local nursery you can pick your plants and they might have a guarantee on them, should that arise local would be somewhat easier to deal with. just some thoughts.

I happen to be at my local nursery at the moment. They have 4ft arborvitae for $50 each. I bet they could come down a good deal if I wanted 20-30 of them.

I'll stop by the nursery Monday see what they can do and go from there.

I need to get something planted soon for a privacy hedge to block a new development on one side of my house.

http://www.hewitts.com/weekly-specials/

Hey, how'd the tree thing turn out? My local nursery is offering 5' plants for $65. I'm not sure what a #10 pot is, but the list price is much higher and it being offered for a few dollars more.

Was your local guy able to beat the online guy's price with your quantity order?

The local guy could not match the price, I talked to another nursery they would sell them for $75 but they were in 7 gal pots and pretty skinny plants.

I need to check a few more nurseries but I haven't had much free time.

Keep looking! There's usually a place where the landscapers buy their plants. They aren't going to order stuff in from the internet each job!