Low Flame Napoleon Propane Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moonshine

Sep 19, 2015
Wisconsin
I have a two year old Napoleon LP insert. It had been working fine, and then the thermocouple went bad. I replaced that, and now the flame is noticeably dwindling. There is a flame at all the burner holes, but in many just barely. The rear flame goes up about six inches. Wife told me late one night, the whole thing went to a flicker and she turned it off. Our tank is full, and it lights great. It has run for hours in this low flame situation. Any ideas?

Separate (or maybe not?) issue just curious if anyone has any suggestions for. This thing is supposed to have two flame settings, a high / low. Unless it's so minute it's barely noticeable, it's never really had that. When the low setting is pressed, the dial turns, but there is no change in flame. My opinion (having no previous experience with gas inserts / fire places) is that it's always been on low, and the flame has never really been too impressive.

Have people had bad experiences with Napoleon? I gotta tell you, for a two year old insert I am not impressed. I'm at the point of calling a professional.

I'd check a couple of things. One would be to have your LP check the pressure at the primary & secondary regulators in his gas line.
Second, I'd pull the burners & check behind the burner orifices for spider nests.
Third, I'd check to see if the solenoid or stepper valve is functioning/ getting power.

Reactions: Moonshine
Thanks for the response. Definitely no spider webs as I had to take it apart several times to change the thermocouple, and cleaned it good. I think you have supported my belief that I may need to contact someone to look at it. Your last suggestion seems a bit over my ability.