Low Flue Temps on New to me Thermo Control 500 Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty Dive

Jan 23, 2013
I recently received a Thermo control 500 boiler that included interior tubes for baseboard heating. I contacted the company and found that I could remove these tubes and use the stove as a basic wood burner.

So far so good and it really burns nicely and is very controllable. Huge firebox allows for longer/larger pieces of wood and lots of it.

My question is the stove runs at about 450 degrees but the thermometer (and verified by infra red thermometer) on the 8 inch stove pipe is 150-200 degrees. With my VC Vigilant I could get that stove pipe a lot hotter from time to time to burn it off.

Should I be concerned? With the low flue temps am I asking for trouble or just more frequent chimney cleanings?
As background - I am in Connecticut with a center chimney with the wood stove in the basement and total flue length of ~30 feet at 8 inches.

Thanks

Scott

I recently received a Thermo control 500 boiler that included interior tubes for baseboard heating. I contacted the company and found that I could remove these tubes and use the stove as a basic wood burner.

So far so good and it really burns nicely and is very controllable. Huge firebox allows for longer/larger pieces of wood and lots of it.

My question is the stove runs at about 450 degrees but the thermomOeter (and verified by infra red thermometer) on the 8 inch stove pipe is 150-200 degrees. With my VC Vigilant I could get that stove pipe a lot hotter from time to time to burn it off.

Should I be concerned? With the low flue temps am I asking for trouble or just more frequent chimney cleanings?
As background - I am in Connecticut with a center chimney with the wood stove in the basement and total flue length of ~30 feet at 8 inches.

Thanks

Scott

H Scott. I had the same problem with my TC2500. The stack temp was low. I was really concerned about it and talked to everyone from the dealer that sold it to me to techs at Thermo Control. They "almost" sent a tech to my house to diagnose my issue as they are amazing with support for customers. I would give Thermo Control a call and see what they say. You can find them by searching National Stove Works.

Here are things I did to make it work just right.

1. The wood has to be DRY. It needs to be well seasoned and stored under cover. I know that is a given, but these stoves are especially sensitive to this. My old indoor wood boiler would burn very differently and I could store seasoned wood outside and bring it in and burn it almost frozen. Because there was no "reburn", it lit it up and away it went. (with a lot of he useable BTU's). I joked with them at Thermo Control and asked them if I needed to kiln dry my firewood.

2. These stoves do not like warm temperatures outside. If the draft is a little low because of warm temps, cold chimney or any other factor that impacts draft, they suffer from low stack temps. I never had a draft problem with my old stove but with this one, I needed to put a draft inducer in the pipe. I only use it on warm days and I always use it when loading my stove. I don't use it under normal running conditions.

3. I found the stove has to "get hot to stay hot". I tend leave the damper rod in until the chimney gets to about 400. Sometimes I need to run the draft inducer and keep the door open a little to get it that hot, then I pull the rod (with the door now closed) to get it to burn.

Now, I can get the stove to run a surface temperature between 300 and 550 pretty easily. Also, it depends on the size of the fire too. It is a big fire box and will absorb/radiate a lot of heat so small fires keep my flue temp low.

When you get it running right, if you have a stack limit switch, you may even need to space it out to keep the auto draft flap open if you have one. If you have questions, you can give me a call. 5184692530.

Status
Not open for further replies.