Remote flue temp monitoring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ruSSrt

Nov 21, 2023
Upstate South Carolina
Good day everyone.

Question: is there a way to install remote sensor/thermometer into/on to flue liner and have a remote gauge. Preferably without drilling in to the flue liner.

Set up:
Old big buck stove inserted in to the fireplace with only 2-3 inches on top to spare. I'm installing big buck adapter for 8" insulated liner. I want to know my flue temps and I know they sell extended thermometers I can drill through facia kit and in to the adapter. But I would like to not drill in to the flue. Between front of the stove and the flue adapter is about 12 inches or longer and I haven't seen thermometers that have that long if a stem. Is there a magnetic sensor I can attach to the flue and have wires running out for a display/gauge? Can I use stove cement and glue it on like I cement my door gasket?

PXL_20240118_150640274.jpg PXL_20231129_172901430.jpg

Last edited:
If the magnet got too hot it would fall off anyway. Better off with some type of thermocouple.
To attache thermocouple I would have to drill and screw it on. Right?
Plus how would I get temp reading off of thermocouple? I thought they were on/off once certain temperature reached.

Last edited:
To attache thermocouple I would have to drill and screw it on. Right?
Plus how would I get temp reading off of thermocouple? I thought they were on/off once certain temperature reached.

You wouldn’t necessarily have to drill and screw…we used to use stainless steel clamps, high temperature tape, etc.
Thermocouple, temperature probe…whatever…all the same only different.

You wouldn’t necessarily have to drill and screw…we used to use stainless steel clamps, high temperature tape, etc.
Thermocouple, temperature probe…whatever…all the same only different.
Thank you for clarifying it. After you mentioned it I start reading up on it and realized there is more to it. Going to do more research on thermocouple.

Thank you for clarifying it. After you mentioned it I start reading up on it and realized there is more to it. Going to do more research on thermocouple.
Just get an auber

Reactions: Hoytman
I use a FireBoard to monitor my furnace, though I don't monitor the flue temp. Multiple remote thermocouples, battery backup, data logging, alarms, phone app with wifi and bluetooth, low amp switching, is all available in my last generation version. It's now the FireBoard 2, and I don't know what else it offers. Not saying it's the thing for you, but you might want to look at it.

Reactions: ruSSrt
I use a FireBoard to monitor my furnace, though I don't monitor the flue temp. Multiple remote thermocouples, battery backup, data logging, alarms, phone app with wifi and bluetooth, low amp switching, is all available in my last generation version. It's now the FireBoard 2, and I don't know what else it offers. Not saying it's the thing for you, but you might want to look at it.
This is an old buck stove no reason or need for all that info. A simple flue temp reading is all that is needed

Bholler beat me to that. If i would have a way to use all that information i would totally look in to it. But as simple guidance on how much air to give it, when to cut it back. If they would have manual gauge i would choose that. This digital staff it too fancy for me.