Low wattage fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tadmaz

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2017
Erin, WI
Anyone have a low wattage fan for distributing heat that you can recommend? Box fans seem too large to me and use 80 watts on low speed. I'm thinking of something that can move some decent air, isn't cheap and fragile, and is low wattage (10 watts?). There are some on Amazon with poor reviews, minimal air movement, easily breakable, and so on.

There are jillions of ~10W fans out there, but you're not talking about a lot of airflow. Here's a 120v fan that gets 51CFM out of 8W, which is pretty reasonable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OWVUJ0/?tag=hearthamazon-20

To put 51 CFM in perspective, a box fan on high might be 2000 or 3000 CFM. 50 is not gonna knock your socks off. :p

Smaller fans can be better designed and built and still less efficient than larger fans in terms of CFM per watt.

Don't forget noise as a factor in fan selection. 2000cfm and 10w draw won't go far if it puts out a sound like fingernails on a chalk board, unless it's for the office white elephant Christmas party.

Thanks for all the replies, will do some research on these! Also this reminds me that I have a small vornado heater that can operate just as a fan, I'll check wattage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KF60O00/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Not sure , what wattage , but I have this and happy. looks cool. they say it mixing air , not blowing it. Has 4 speeds. Can't hear when on low. Blows good amount of air while on max.
I have the same fan and love it. It is almost silent on the lowest settting and moves a lot of air. It’s also very low to ground so no air blowing in your face.