New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Lowes in concord $199 ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are Currans, they certainly are suing a different process/blend or something. I used Curran's for a couple of years. The first year they were good. Last year, not so much. Currans were longish pellets that varied in length. The Inferno's (at least this year's - the only one's I've bought), are a nice small, consistently-sized pellet. they also smell different.

Curran's are made in NY, Inferno's in RI.
When I tried to research IGs last year I came up with info that the company was owned by Bob Kraft. The RI plant burned down years ago and the info I dug up indicated they were operating out of some place in mass. Rehobeth sticks in my mind....

Reactions: bogieb
And you might be right - it is extremely tough to find anything on these and other pellets. If they are Curran's, then whatever issues they had last year were solved.

Went ahead and ordered 2 more tons of the Inferno's from the Concord, NH store. They wanted $19 for shipping (not a bad price for 30 miles away). But when I told them I had gotten 2 tons a couple of weeks ago with no shipping charges, they did an override so I got the free shipping. I did take a walk around the garden center and they had almost as many pallets of IG as MWP's. Although they still had ice on top of the wrapping, the wrapping was intact, even at the bottom, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

HD is still sticking to their higher prices.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
The Inferno Gold bags contains terms which can be interpreted various ways (exaggerated marketing).
For example the bag states
Ultra Premium. To some people that term means <0.5% ash (Super premium). But the Inferno Gold
is a premium <1% ash.

I picked up 2 tons of the Inferno Gold Ultras. The bag states the ash as <.7%. From my observations so far I would say these have the lowest amount of ash of any pellet I have burned (5 years of using a pellet stove). They put out decent heat and there are minimal fines. For $249 and an additional $50 in-store rebate coupon Aubuchon's, I think they are a decent deal. Much better than the TSC pellets I bought last Sept (which had some of the highest amounts of ash I ever had )

Reactions: bogieb
The situation at Lowe's stores in Southern NH is very fluid.
(But I estimate that about 50% of the information that customer service tells me is wrong.)
Saturday, Lowes, Epping, NH told me that they only had a few tons still in stock and that
the free shipping had ended.
Sunday, today, Lowes, Epping says that they are now expecting truck deliveries coming in.
(Most likely from other stores.) And that the free shipping in back in effort.
They told me to call back Wednesday.
Today, Lowes, Greenland said that have many tons of Maine's Choice and Green Team in-
stock.

What I want is 3 more tons of Nature's Own at $199/ton and free shipping.
If anyone happens to hear about some Nature's Own in Southern NH, please let me know.
Thanks

I have burned 3 tons of North American Pellets (Curren Blend) over the past two years. They are a nice average pellet.
I would purchase more for $200/ton or slightly less.
Yeah, you're right. I just have a bad taste from last time I bought 3 tons of Curran's and they were $40/ton more than FSU's I got from BBS (FSU's ran much better). Yeah, even that stuff ran well enough to pay $199/ton for.

Bought 2 tons to put towards next years stash at Greenland, NH Lowes on Friday. $199/ton for Maine's Choice with free delivery when you buy 2 or more tons. Also saved 5% by paying with my Lowes credit card so it brought the price to $189/ton delivered. Even if they are ashy as hell the price is right.

Reactions: rickjohn
Yeah, you're right. I just have a bad taste from last time I bought 3 tons of Curran's and they were $40/ton more than FSU's I got from BBS (FSU's ran much better). Yeah, even that stuff ran well enough to pay $199/ton for.
I talked to Kelli Curren, the Director of Marketing at Curren. She said that Curren does not bag Inferno Gold. She said she does not
know who does bag Inferno Gold. The mystery still remains. I guess I might try contacting International Forest Products. Surely,
they would know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.