LP Prices, When To Buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
Hey Guys,

Couple questions. I've read LP prices will be lower this winter. Are people finding this to be generally true? I'm a reltively new LP burner (Avalon Gas Stove), and my supplier has a pretty regular delivery schedule. I'm a weekender, and do not use too much LP during the heating season. Assuming I can get the tank filled when I want to, i.e. in the fall, which would last me until mid-winter or so, is there a good time to get this done? IOW, do prices fluctuate in a pattern?

Thanks!!

Chris

Around here it's $1.59 gal. Last week was$1.69, next week, next month who knows.
Ed

OpenWater said:
Hey Guys,

Couple questions. I've read LP prices will be lower this winter. Are people finding this to be generally true? I'm a reltively new LP burner (Avalon Gas Stove), and my supplier has a pretty regular delivery schedule. I'm a weekender, and do not use too much LP during the heating season. Assuming I can get the tank filled when I want to, i.e. in the fall, which would last me until mid-winter or so, is there a good time to get this done? IOW, do prices fluctuate in a pattern?

Thanks!!

Chris
I think the pattern is the same as with gasoline. There's a cloud in the sky, raise the prices; whoops there are no clouds in the sky., raise the prices. Capitalism at its finest.
Ed

My parent company is in the fuel oil business. I've been watching the price of crude and heating oil creep up the past week. I would never bet on LP or oil prices ticking down at the onset of heating season, more so now since crude has seemed to already "bottom out" at 35ish per barrel and has worked it's way back up to the 70s. If it was me, I would buy propane now while it is just reasonable in general. Trying to wait and save 10 cents a gallon on a few hundred gallons may not be worth it.

Geez, I guess I just got screwed. Amerigas just charged me $4.009 per gallon.
I only use about 100 glns per year but holy crap!!

My pre buy price was 1.46 this year, last year it was 2.26. Current price around here is 1.59. Last year was the first time I've lost with the pre buy. Typically it will rise during the heating season, last year it came down!

brogsie said:
Geez, I guess I just got screwed. Amerigas just charged me $4.009 per gallon.
I only use about 100 glns per year but holy crap!!
Screw me once, your fault; screw me twice, my fault. Lesson learned.
Ed

Darn right Ed.
I rent the tank from the gas co. $66/yr.
Do you know if I can buy from other suppliers or do I need to get my own tank?

brogsie said:
Darn right Ed.

I you have a tank supplied by the LP company, I'm pretty sure they're the only ones who can fill it.
If you own your tank, ANY LP company can fill it & you won't be charged the maintenance fee.
If you own your tank & it sh*ts the bed or leaks, you'll hafta pay another big bill to replace it.

[]

I you have a tank supplied by the LP company, I'm pretty sure they're the only ones who can fill it.
If you own your tank, ANY LP company can fill it & you won't be charged the maintenance fee.
If you own your tank & it sh*ts the bed or leaks, you'll hafta pay another big bill to replace it.[/quote]

Is that why I am paying $4/gl? Not using enough?

brogsie said:
Darn right Ed.
If it's their tank you have no choice. Try searching in our forums. I think there was a thread about buying your own tank or tanks and bringing them to a local Lp filler. I bought our 500 gal some ten years ago or more. We use it mostly for cooking and have a small direct vent that gives just enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing if we go away in winter. Course we still don't leave if it's in the twenties or less. We usually fill every 2 or 3 years depending how lazy I get burning wood. Be safe "brogsie".
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.