Lurker turned Burner, Finally.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krogoski

Sep 29, 2014
Southern Indiana
All,

Just wanted to give you all a big Thanks!

I realize that it's kind of awkward, having someone listen in to your conversations and then pop out of nowhere and say "Hey, I don't know you, and now you think I'm a creep, But Thanks!!"

I have been on the fence for years regarding a stove. My house is a 1400 sqft ranch, not alot of room for a family of four AND a wood stove.

Genesis of my wood burning dreams was in Winter 2001. We had a 60% efficiency propane furnace (no NG an 50A electric service) and the price of propane that winter hit $1.20. We spent the bank on fuel that winter. The local propane price dropped to $0.70 in spring, but I was already on the warpath. We replaced the furnace with an air source heat pump/90% efficient Propane unit. I ripped out all the drywall in the house added furring strips to the studs, pushing cavities out to 6", installed R19 and, finally, the attic received an R60 dose of cellulose. All that work used up all available funds. Jump ahead 7 years, I determined that we would never install a wood stove if we waited for the right time. I started looking at stoves and had decided on a Morso (can't remember the model.) I could not find a dealer. I needed a stove with close clearances, and the Morso was the only stove I found that would work for us. So we waited, either for a Morso dealer to appear or a different stove to catch my eye.

Jump to August 2014. I had not looked for a stove in year or better. I came back here to read up on any new developments. I saw the Blaze King Ashford. By Gosh, It was just what I was looking for!!! I called my local dealer and he said he was a freshly minted Blaze King dealer! The stars had aligned. I pulled the trigger a mid September, and the installation is scheduled for October 27th.

Webby3650 nearly sold the Ashford all by himself. The frequent appearance of BKVP was what finally sold me on it.

We can't wait for the install. Thanks to this forum I have purchased a moisture meter, and have educated myself, I believe, sufficiently to have as few problems with the install and first few fires as possible. We have 1 cord of Silver maple that has been put up for nearly 10 years, I bought 1 ton of Grenheat blocks thanks to a certain thread, and I have 3 cord of mixed hardwoods "Seasoned" but wet sitting for next year.

Thank you all!
Ken

Sounds like you're on track to become a addict here! lol

You're going to love wood heat if you never had it you will be really surprised. You will be warmer for less money and you will stay in better shape for it!
Make sure you get a IR temp gun so you will have to jump up every 10 mins to check the stove temps in about ten places!

HotCoals,

I do have an IR Temp gun, I also have access to a Fluke IRFlexcam at work I may have to borrow for a few days.
The wife, a southern Indiana native, grew up with wood heat. I'm just a city boy from Detroit who moved to the sticks.
I'm the one in for a surprise, the wife just grins when we talk about it.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Welcome, Ken. :) You mean to say you actually need heat in southern IN? ;)
called my local dealer and he said he was a freshly minted Blaze King dealer!
So is this the Bloomington dealer? If so, that might be webby's place. I tried the BK dealer search but it's throwing darts blindfolded, doesn't let you pick a search radius. How long has the 3 cords been split and stacked (single row with wind?,) and what kind of wood?

city boy from Detroit
Born and raised in south Detroi-oit? ;lol When I moved here from WI, I though I had moved to the tropics. I'm acclimated now, though; If It drops below 68 in the house, I'm thinking about firing up. :)

Woody Stover,

I don't need the heat as much as the kiddos seem to think they need!
The dealer is the Columbus dealer, Bloomington folks don't seem to like to come to me, heck Columbus folks don't like it so much. Draw a triangle with Columbus, Bloomington and Seymour as the vertices, drop a dot in the middle, and that's where we are.

The 3 Cord is a mix of Oak, Beech, Hickory, Ash, Persimmon, Locust and Black Walnut. It was cut last December, split and stacked in August. I know it needs more, much more. All the splits were way too long (20"-28") so they all got bucked to 16" so I have a huge pile of cookies and chunks (perhaps 1/2 cord worth.) I'm going to build chicken wire tubes two feet in diameter and throw in the chunks and cookies. We'll see if they dry out any before my Maple is gone. Luckily I have that cord of maple, and the ton of bricks.

Born and raised in south Detroi-oit?
Yeah, That pretty much sums it up!!

68°F is pretty much our sweet spot. 72°F is hot, 64°F is chilly. The wife keeps saying we need to find a place on the planet that says 68°F and move there. I can't say I disagree!

Ken

Welcome to hearth.com . . . officially.

Now please just stop peeking in Webby's windows at night . . . it's kinda creeping him out. ;) :)

Thanks firefighterjake
How am I supposed to keep my excitement checked for another two weeks then?

Looks like it's time to bring out the serious drugs. Here ya go.

Congrats on your stove purchase and welcome to the asylum! Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things thus far with wood supply, seasoning knowledge, and it looks like you've got the saw and splitter figured out.

Remember, we like pictures here; and the IR camera shots are always intriguing to me. :)

Looks like it's time to bring out the serious drugs. Here ya go.
Ahhhhhh, much better, Thanks Begreen!

pma1123,
Thanks. Everything I know came from you folks. I've spent years perusing this site, absorbing useful knowledge, as well as some drivel on occasion.
Pictures will come, this I can promise. I will be building the hearth next week, then another week till install.
I'll feed pics as expediently as possible, IR pics for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.