LVP planks near hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Carlos916

Mar 20, 2023
Roseville
Greetings I am new to wood burning stoves. My wife and I bought a Ironstriker c160. It's a tiny stove and works well for the little house. I have a question regarding LVP planks being installed in my house and they go up to our brick hearth which is 18 inches away from our stove. My question is does anyone know if the LVP planks will get damaged or warped if they get warm to the touch right up against the last brick on the hearth. I can't find any info on this question in the store or internet. Does anyone have LVP planks near their wood burning stove and if so how is it working out?

16792866528736097797016369958393.jpg

How hot does the floor get? I have a stove on a hearth with aminate and my floor stays cold in front of the stove.
Is your LVP a floating floor? Is there a gap all around the perimeter? If it's supposed to be floating the temperature might make it expand so the perimeter gap allows the expansion.

Does the hearth extend at least 18" in front of the stove door? It looks like this might be a little shy of hearth protection for the stove. For peace of mind, put a hearth extension pad or at least a hearth rug in that area. If you have any pets, that will become their go-to place in winter.

I have a hearth extension, then a floating laminate floor. It does get warmer in front of the stove, but no expansion or other issues that I’ve noticed

I second the hearth extension pad advice. I have 18 inches of hearth extension but my wood insert calls for a certain R value of hearth that i couldn’t confirm. Plopping the heart extension pad over the existing hearth extension did away with that concern.

I see that Hearth & Home has added this caveat to their new manuals.

CAUTION

Hearth and Home Technologies does not recommend adhesive-based vinyl flooring due to thermal expansion. Floating-style flooring (LVP - luxury vinyl plank or LVT – luxury vinyl tile) can be used, but it will reach temperatures up to 110 °F in a room with an ambient temperature of 70 °F. Consult flooring specifications to ensure compatibility. When using LVP/LVT flooring, HHT recommends wood stoves and inserts have 57 inches of alternative flooring in front of the stove or insert before using LVP/LVT. Whether the stove or insert sits flush on the floor or is elevated on a raised hearth, 57 inches of alternative flooring is required in front of the stove or insert.

WOW! That sounds kinda crazy. In my world heat rises, how could a floor be over 100 in a 70 degree room? I have 18" in front of my stove and have a hearth rug just for extra but with the stove burning floor stays cool.

Reactions: cahaak
WOW! That sounds kinda crazy. In my world heat rises, how could a floor be over 100 in a 70 degree room? I have 18" in front of my stove and have a hearth rug just for extra but with the stove burning floor stays cool.
Radiant vs convective heat. Radiant waves heat objects and convection heats the air.

In my world heat rises, how could a floor be over 100 in a 70 degree room?
That's not correct, heat radiates equally in all directions. Warm air rises relative to cool air, that's it. The tile in front of my stove gets pretty toasty with a strong fire going and I'm surprised that yours doesn't .

Hot air rises, but this is about radiant heat, which is line of sight. We have a hearth rug 18" away from the stove door for the cat. He feels like he is going to catch fire after laying there for an hour.