M55 Warranty Service Fee Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My high heat sensor(flashign #4) kept tripping & shutting my stove down, no matter what setting I was running at. I called my dealer who in turn called Enviro & come to find out they were having problems with the blower not keeping the stove cool enough not to shut down. Enviro sent him a new blower & he installed it for nothing under warranty. I guess it depends on the dealer.

Brianm58 said:
My high heat sensor(flashign #4) kept tripping & shutting my stove down, no matter what setting I was running at. I called my dealer who in turn called Enviro & come to find out they were having problems with the blower not keeping the stove cool enough not to shut down. Enviro sent him a new blower & he installed it for nothing under warranty. I guess it depends on the dealer.

Soooo, was it the same blower or a different model? I think this is part of the reason why Enviro is coming out with the "Turbo" convection blower. They know the existing blower is borderline in keeping the stove from overheating. I have to give them kudos though...their goal was for a whisper quiet stove. They succeeded, but I think they went a little too far and now have this problem.
Flynfrfun

Brianm58,

Have you got the extended auger flight cover on your insert?

Just asking because that has stopped the overheat problem in some cases.

It is a balancing act with moving goal posts as well.

According to the install instructions for this upgraded auger cover, the stock cover was allowing the stove to feed at a rate of 75,000 BTU instead of the 55,000 BTu that it is supposed to feed at. If the dealer you bought the stove from did the upgrade then I would think it would be covered parts and labor under warranty. But if you had a different dealer install the upgrade then the 40 dollar charge is a good deal in my opinion.

I did one of these this winter. the part came in after the install and after the customer had the same problem. About a month or so later I got another one, I asked about the feed plate and they said they (they dealer) would send me out when it came in (the part), and I said not for free. I haven't had another install from them since.

So you get a dealer that puts a lot of food on the table of an installer. The dealer says, "I need you to take care of this." And the installer will because he knows what side of the bread his butter is on. Fortunately I don't have to operate that way too much.

A lot of dealers do not have tech staff and this is how stuff like this is handled. I know several dealers that handle ALL of their warranty claims this way. Certainly they pocket the claim money too from the manufacturer and the installer who doesn't want to lose the account says yes again and again.

As long as that customer doesn't call back in complaining, it was a success. So you find all kinds of switches bypassed and such just to guarantee that there are no "problems".

Seems if the dealer is asking for $40 bucks, they actually may be on the up and up.

I believe my dealer is a combination of the both. He contracts out the installs. But he does the service calls and warranty work himself.
Flynfrfun

Status
Not open for further replies.