Magnetic thermometer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sons924

Burning Hunk
Mar 7, 2013
Vc Montpelier insert, I took the surround off so I can look at the temp. The only place the thermometer will stick is right where the liner connects to the stove. How accurate is the temperature because it's supposed to be 18 inches above the stove?
Right now it's at 475 and I have a small 2 split fire going.

What model thermometer do you have? If it says to install it at 18" above the stove, that sounds like a model made for flue temperatures. Are you trying to measure flue temps or stove temps?

I'm just trying to get a temp on the stove. It's says to install it on the flue pipe but stainless isn't magnetic. I placed it on top the stove and I'm getting 250

I'm just trying to get a temp on the stove. It's says to install it on the flue pipe but stainless isn't magnetic. I placed it on top the stove and I'm getting 250
Those flue thermometers are calibrated to be used on a flue at a specific height. The models marketed for stove tops would be more accurate, but that said, placement on an insert is difficult. An infrared "gun" thermometer may be a good solution.

I agree with Sprinter. You can get an IR gun for $25-30 and then read the temperature anywhere on the stove or flue. It can be used for other things too and is handy to have.

I agree with Sprinter. You can get an IR gun for $25-30 and then read the temperature anywhere on the stove or flue. It can be used for other things too and is handy to have.

can the IR thermometers measure the temp accurately on the double wall stove pipe?

it will be accurate to the temp of the pipe on the outside as long as it has been calibrated correctly(which is likely)

Will it tell you the temp on the inside - NO Inserts are tough - or tougher to get accurate temps on than a big steel box with a therm sitting on the step but they all are just a simple reminder. Get one that is calibrated for stove to - or use the one you have and stick somewhere on the stove face. Then use your IR in conjunction until you have some comfort in what is going on and what the Mag therm reads. This way you can just know at a glance regardless of accuracy or what it reads.

It has been discussed a bunch on here that the mag therms are inaccurate(or can be) with a +- from 50-100 degrees from actual. Just use them as a suggestion and reminder - not gospel. Many have burned for years w/o any gage - many still do. Once you get comfortable with the process your stove will tell you what it's doing.

The ir thermo is a great tool to have, I use it on the firebrick as well as the cast iron spot just behind the top of the glass, I was told that you would get an accurate reading from that spot. I also use it on the walls, floor and furniture to monitor the progress.....

can the IR thermometers measure the temp accurately on the double wall stove pipe?
IR thermometers will accurately measure the surface temperature of an object (a non-shiny one like black surfaces). But the problem is that the surface temp of double wall pipe tells you nothing about the internal temperature of the flue and the gasses because it's too far removed.

Reactions: Elle
Status
Not open for further replies.