Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm glad that I moved the snow from the east side of the new garage yesterday. Today I removed slush and water from different areas near the house and the new garage, I also scraped down the driveway.

Attachments

• 101_2245.JPG
    101_2245.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 101_2247.JPG
    101_2247.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 277
  • 101_2248.JPG
    101_2248.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 332
Do you level off / plane the ice area's off before a re-freeze? This year has to be a pia with the freeze thaw cycle.
I'll take the driveway down to whatever mother nature allows and then ash & sand. Next to the garage will get another couple of swipes with the snowplow before it freezes so I guess the answer is yes.

I have certain areas with natural drains that I keep plowed. Since we moved here over 15 years ago, the winters have changed big time, the last four or five years it seems we get more of the pia freeze thaw cycle.

It seems like that is how the winters are for most anymore. I try and clean my driveway and walk areas as best as I can weather it is with the tractor or shovel, but with these freeze thaw cycles we get it makes it very difficult to keep clean.

Reactions: Hammy
We hit 43 for a high early this morning, the driveway looks like it's all ice. After ashing and sanding the driveway today, I might need more ash so a fire in the outside fireplace might happen this week.

With the rain we received overnight, the snow came off the garage roof so I took care of that.

Attachments

• 101_2249.JPG
    101_2249.JPG
    870.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 101_2250.JPG
    101_2250.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 278
Your rink is looking good:). Looks about the same as mine:).

Hope you all have had a nice holiday and good 2019 so far. Been busy her with a bathroom addition.
We had a new coating of ice overnight so I was back putting ashes and sand on it again today.

Thanks @Hammy , I hope you and your family have a good and safe 2019. How's the bathroom project going?

Our temp is at 35 tonight with it in the low 40's tomorrow morning, we could be in for some wind gust in the mid 40's tomorrow but by then all the ice should be off the trees.

We had a new coating of ice overnight so I was back putting ashes and sand on it again today.

Thanks @Hammy , I hope you and your family have a good and safe 2019. How's the bathroom project going?

Our temp is at 35 tonight with it in the low 40's tomorrow morning, we could be in for some wind gust in the mid 40's tomorrow but by then all the ice should be off the trees.
Sounds like our forecast as well. I didn't not anticipate so much ice and so many freeze thaw cycles for a Maine winter.

Sounds like our forecast as well. I didn't not anticipate so much ice and so many freeze thaw cycles for a Maine winter.
It seems like this is the new norm for our winters up here. We always have three or four full garbage cans full of ashes we use for the majority of the driveway with sand getting used closer to the house.

We've been thinking about a nice pull behind sander for the rhino or a 3 pt. sander for the tractor.

It seems like this is the new norm for our winters up here. We always have three or four full garbage cans full of ashes we use for the majority of the driveway with sand getting used closer to the house.

We've been thinking about a nice pull behind sander for the rhino or a 3 pt. sander for the tractor.

I've been thinking about a sander for my Ram 3500. This way I don't have to swap implements as much.

I've been thinking about a sander for my Ram 3500. This way I don't have to swap implements as much.
I already have chains for the rhino (not on yet) but so far without the chains it hasn't had any problems with the ice. The tractor has never had a problem but without chains if I ever started to slide in certain areas, I don't think that I could stop it once it starting sliding.

If we went with the 3 pt. sander for the tractor, we would go with something like this but with a poly tub.
256111_2000x2000.jpg

Thanks. We had a nice holiday for sure. The bathroom is moving a long just slowly. After the cutting I did for the plumbing to run to the basement on Monday there are only 2 rooms left that won’t need some patching:). Finally got most of the insulation in so that will make the house more comfortable.

Slow and steady wins the race but might drive me nuts on the way:)

Well, Kioti discontinued everything DK except the SE, so I'm going HST. They can also spec the DK4710SE on the lot with the cruise control and linked pedal for not many more dollars. I liquidated some assets so I'm waiting on a check and then after it clears the bank I can go pick up the tractor. With incentives the tractor is a pretty good deal and will do everything I need of it. I really wanted the hydraulic shuttle shift, but they sold their last one, and even if Kioti still made them, it would have been just as expensive to get one ordered. The dealer also said the HST has less than 20% power loss, but I don't know if I believe that. Maybe Kioti is more conservative in their power ratings like VW with the GTI.

I think you will like the HST. Congrats on the new tractor.

With the high wind gust today, I decided it was a good day to grease and check all the fluids, all is good.

Do you have a locknlube? That and my cheapo air grease gun make greasing about as easy as can be. I got the locknlube for Christmas and used for the first time the other day. Love it.

I don't have it quite yet, waiting for a check to clear at the bank. I'm hoping another week or two. I already put a hold on the Tractor.

I hope the time passes well for you:).

Do you have a locknlube? That and my cheapo air grease gun make greasing about as easy as can be. I got the locknlube for Christmas and used for the first time the other day. Love it.
Yes I do, I bought it late in the fall of 2018. It makes greasing the tractor real easy but there are two spots out of three that the locknlube won;t fit so I use the old grease gun.

Just a question on a Mahindra HST, if you're going forward do you need to stop before going in reverse?

Just a question on a Mahindra HST, if you're going forward do you need to stop before going in reverse?

I just take my foot off the forward pedal then press the reverse pedal. I never really thought about it but I guess I would be at a stop before I press the reverse. I have only ever used the brake/clutch to put the parking brake on. Once you take your foot off the direction pedal the tractor pretty much stops as quick as using a brake.

I just take my foot off the forward pedal then press the reverse pedal. I never really thought about it but I guess I would be at a stop before I press the reverse. I have only ever used the brake/clutch to put the parking brake on. Once you take your foot off the direction pedal the tractor pretty much stops as quick as using a brake.
Thanks @Hammy. It looks like we might get between 8 - 12 inches of snow Tuesday through Wednesday, the 4540 will get some work.

Last edited:
Do you level off / plane the ice area's off before a re-freeze? This year has to be a pia with the freeze thaw cycle.
This will cover the ice until the next melt, it's very dangerous if you want to take a walk.
StormTotalSnow.png

we are supposed to get wind and rain all week it seems. I was able to move a lot of wood yesterday with the tractor so it was a good day. I'm also in the middle of a master bath/ closet add on. On sat I swapped out my sub panel 24 breakers on it so that ate a little time but it is done.