Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We were all ice back here until yesterday and later last night, we received around seven inches with some sleet coming down before the last snowfall. I took the sled out over all the walking trails and the driveway, that packed down the snow so we can walk on the trails and the driveway.

The town plow went by after I had put the sled away so I started up the tractor so I could plow the end of the driveway and make a few more runs over the whole driveway which packed it down even more.

Reactions: Hammy
We were all ice back here until yesterday and later last night, we received around seven inches with some sleet coming down before the last snowfall. I took the sled out over all the walking trails and the driveway, that packed down the snow so we can walk on the trails and the driveway.

The town plow went by after I had put the sled away so I started up the tractor so I could plow the end of the driveway and make a few more runs over the whole driveway which packed it down even more.

Can you post pics of the sled? The only tractor sleds I know of are at tractor pulls ;lol

Reactions: thewoodlands
Can you post pics of the sled? The only tractor sleds I know of are at tractor pulls ;lol
With some rain coming in tomorrow, I might need to plow it.

Attachments

• 101_1139b.JPG
    101_1139b.JPG
    702.9 KB · Views: 229
Since we were getting rain today, I decide that I would take about 3 inches of snow off the driveway and then pack it down. The majority of the driveway has about two inches of snow on it that I packed down after plowing except for a few areas that I had the plow down to far which left some ice showing.

Attachments

• 101_2258.JPG
    101_2258.JPG
    797.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 101_2260.JPG
    101_2260.JPG
    746.1 KB · Views: 206
I moved a bunch of wood today I’ll try and get some pics tomorrow I was trying to beat the dark and didn’t want to stop if I didn’t have to. A good day a lot of timber mover in just a few hours. I have to grease the loader and grapple tonight but that will only take a few minutes. I’m hoping I can finish moving the rest tomorrow before the snow comes in, plus the wife is meeting a college friend so time will be tight.

08C86176-EB9F-4ED9-BA03-48EA3A924F35.jpeg
1738218F-853D-436C-BFA2-F885B7992DFE.jpeg
Finally have it all moved off the driveway 12 pickup loads. I was able to finish before it started snowing. The labs have been busy running back and forth the last couple of days.

My younger one is the one in the back I wish I had a harness and a sled or wagon for him to pull. That dog has a small diesel engine for a heart, I threw his tennis ball and stick for three hours yesterday and for about five hours today. He is a little beat now but man for almost seven he is a trooper. The dog just loves to run and swim,.

View attachment 241011 View attachment 241012 Finally have it all moved off the driveway 12 pickup loads. I was able to finish before it started snowing. The labs have been busy running back and forth the last couple of days.

Your tractor looks almost identical to mine. I have a 2013 4010 38HP. Looks like you have the ML140 loader like mine as well. I don’t have a manual for my loader. Wondering if you got one with yours and if it says anything I should know:). Nice grapple by the way.

@thewoodlands that locknlube kit looks great. I might have to invest in one eventually. Please let me know if you like it/find it useful.

Your tractor looks almost identical to mine. I have a 2013 4010 38HP. Looks like you have the ML140 loader like mine as well. I don’t have a manual for my loader. Wondering if you got one with yours and if it says anything I should know:). Nice grapple by the way.

@thewoodlands that locknlube kit looks great. I might have to invest in one eventually. Please let me know if you like it/find it useful.
Will do @Hammy, one of the parts that comes with it, I'll use when greasing the tips of my chainsaw bars. The cup extension I used (worked great) but when I was taking it away from the grease fitting, the tip broke. I sent LNL pictures of what happened with an explanation and they're sending me a new one at no charge. The man I talked was glad I sent pictures via email, he's checking with the factory on why or how it could happen.

Hammy I do have the same loader, the only thing I can say about the loader arms is grease them every 10 hours. I haven't really read into the loader manual as much as the tractor manual. I just went over the maintenance requirements and that is what is recommended. Just check out the arms when using it and keep on eye on the moving parts a daily inspection as they say. Check the cylinders for leaking, just normal routine checks.

Last edited:

I just received an email from LNL saying they shipped the new cup extension shipped out, great service.

Hammy I do have the same loader, the only thing I can say about the loader arms is grease them every 10 hours. I haven't really read into the loader manual as much as the tractor manual. I just went over the maintenance requirements and that is what is recommended. Just check out the arms when using it and keep on eye on the moving parts a daily inspection as they say. Check the cylinders for leaking, just normal routine checks.

Thanks. I figured it wasn’t different than any other loader but worth asking:).

@thewoodlands that is great service.

The Sundown 180 is all hooked up, I had the sand/salt shield down all the way but the next time I'll raise it so it will pretty much do the width of the driveway. It beats standing on the ice throwing sand on the driveway.

Just a few pictures of the 180 and the little bit I sanded.

Attachments

• 101_2272.JPG
    101_2272.JPG
    674.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 101_2273.JPG
    101_2273.JPG
    670.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 101_2274.JPG
    101_2274.JPG
    565.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 101_2275.JPG
    101_2275.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 101_2271.JPG
    101_2271.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 207
The Sundown 180 is all hooked up, I had the sand/salt shield down all the way but the next time I'll raise it so it will pretty much do the width of the driveway. It beats standing on the ice throwing sand on the driveway.

You may have made up my mind about the spreader. I'll just swap implements after I use the snowblower. I had planned on getting a quick connect adapter anyway.

You may have made up my mind about the spreader. I'll just swap implements after I use the snowblower. I had planned on getting a quick connect adapter anyway.
If your getting a cab then the handle might or will have to be cut down, the Mahindra dealer here installed one on the tractor that had a cab, they cut the handle down that adjusts the two openings for the sand.

If your getting a cab then the handle might or will have to be cut down, the Mahindra dealer here installed one on the tractor that had a cab, they cut the handle down that adjusts the two openings for the sand.

No cab here, too many trees and too expensive. Maybe I'll trade for a cab tractor when I'm old and the property has been managed for a long time. All of our acerage, aside from two, has been left to grow unmanaged for almost 50 years. As nice as a cab would be, I know in my heart I would break it.

It's only a watch tonight but I better get the saws ready tomorrow.
.HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING...

The National Weather Service in Burlington has issued a High Wind
Watch, which is in effect from Sunday morning through Monday
morning.

* LOCATIONS...Saint Lawrence Valley and portions of the northern
Adirondacks in New York.

* WINDS...Southeast to Southwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60
mph.

* TIMING...Gusty southeast winds are expected on Sunday morning
across the northern Adirondacks from near Brasher Falls to
Malone to Ellenburg Depot. These winds will shift to the
southwest and become very gusty across the Saint Lawrence Valley
and portions of the northern Adirondacks on Sunday night, before
slowly dissipating on Monday.

* IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
Scattered power outages are possible. Travel will be difficult,
especially for high profile vehicles.

That sander looks great! I am looking forward to seeing more pics of it in action.

That sander looks great! I am looking forward to seeing more pics of it in action.
It looks like we'll have the weather for it, I'll see what we can do for pics when I'm sanding.

I did get over 700 pounds of tube sand in the garage today so we're set in that department, we also put in two loads of firewood and a partial load of higher btu wood (ironwood) in today. I'll be heading back out so I can get some chit out of the woods so it doesn't get a tree on it during the high winds.

We have 30 gallons of gas ready for the genny if needed and almost five gallons for the chainsaws.

The wife is cooking stuff today and maybe tomorrow I'll make some spaghetti sauce.

The last wind event we had, I left these two in the woods without them getting hit but these winds could be higher so I brought them to what I think is a safer place.

Attachments

• 101_2279.JPG
    101_2279.JPG
    741.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 101_2280.JPG
    101_2280.JPG
    563.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 101_2281.JPG
    101_2281.JPG
    681 KB · Views: 189
  • 101_2282.JPG
    101_2282.JPG
    659.8 KB · Views: 165
It looks like we'll have the weather for it, I'll see what we can do for pics when I'm sanding.

I did get over 700 pounds of tube sand in the garage today so we're set in that department, we also put in two loads of firewood and a partial load of higher btu wood (ironwood) in today. I'll be heading back out so I can get some chit out of the woods so it doesn't get a tree on it during the high winds.

We have 30 gallons of gas ready for the genny if needed and almost five gallons for the chainsaws.

The wife is cooking stuff today and maybe tomorrow I'll make some spaghetti sauce.

Sounds like you are more than ready. We 9”-12” of snow tomorrow with a bit of rain at the end. No crazy winds this time so we should be good. Lots of fuel for the generator in case we need it but we keep that year round. You never know when the power could go out around here and we have lots time, effort and money into our meat so we won’t risk losing it:)

Sounds like you are more than ready. We 9”-12” of snow tomorrow with a bit of rain at the end. No crazy winds this time so we should be good. Lots of fuel for the generator in case we need it but we keep that year round. You never know when the power could go out around here and we have lots time, effort and money into our meat so we won’t risk losing it:)
If we lose power, it's usually when we don't have chit for storms. Compared to when we moved up here, we don't lose it much, did I just jinx our area?