maintaining insert temp ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KrisP

Aug 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
i have a century 2900, when i fill it and get the temps 5-600 f it stays there for maybe an hour or 2 at most, can/should i keep feeding it to maintain the temp or should i let it burn down and drop the temps or just keep feeding it? i just feel like im really burning through a lot of wood to maintain the temps

my experience with my non cat insert is that the off gassing phase sees the highest temps (maybe last 2.5 hours). And then begins the gradual drop in temp. Best advice is for the wood load to burn to coals ( stovetop at about 250-300) before reloading).

Yep you need to let that puppy cycle ;)

Reactions: KrisP

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191203-195324~2.png
    Screenshot_20191203-195324~2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • Haha
Reactions: Dix and KrisP
It would depend on how much heat you need. Let it cycle down, and let the house temp dictate when to reload. Mild temps, maybe just let it go out. Very cold temps, keep on keeping the stove top higher.

Reactions: KrisP
How seasoned is your firewood? Wetter firewood is going to cause more coaling in the box, which, eventually, you would have to burn down before you can reload.