Maintenance Question Regarding late 1980s Kodiak Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No they didn't. Pipe runs into some kind of box at ceiling, through wood and out the roof. It has the
flue thing on top like the Tin Man's hat.

I'm sending pictures but don't know what you can see.

Attachments

• side view of all.jpg
    side view of all.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 231
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 252
  • location of holes.jpg
    location of holes.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 220
  • fire in the holes.jpg
    fire in the holes.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 227
  • middle extension.jpg
    middle extension.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 224
No they didn't. Pipe runs into some kind of box at ceiling, through wood and out the roof. It has the
flue thing on top like the Tin Man's hat.

I'm sending pictures but don't know what you can see.
Well you are right i cant see much from them but i would bet that they installed chimney pipe above that support box. That is what is required and what they were referring to when they said double insulated.

Hello Hearth.com Members! What a wonderful website! I am so glad I found this forum and you experts as I am in need of guidance.

Around 1985 or 1986 there was some sort of issue with the fireplace at my family’s home. Some bricks were replaced and an Ahrens two-step liner system was added. Next, my parents had a Kodiak wood-burning stove insert installed into the fireplace. When my father died in 1990 my mother had a chimney sweep “clean” the unit and “close the flue.”

My mother has since passed and now I’m back living in the family homestead. I really miss wood-burning heat and decided to open up the stove, with the assistance of a guy friend of mine who has a lifetime of experience with fireplaces. We opened the clean out door and saw “duct work.” Obviously there is no flue anymore which makes me wonder what my mom paid for? Anyway, we made a test fire and the stove/fireplace works beautifully.

kodiak2.jpg

My friend has always cleaned his own chimneys but was perplexed about the process/need for cleaning what is essentially ductwork. I have the owner’s manual with the stove but there is nothing about regular maintenance. ??? I am burning only oak (no pine) with maybe a bit of apple wood down the road.

I called Alaska Stove Company but they just regurgitated a line about current EPA standards and how they do not support this unit anymore.

My question for you experts is: What do you recommend for proper maintenance? My friend has regular chimney-cleaning brushes but will this work on ductwork? How often should we clean?

Thanks so much for any and all light you can shed on my situation! This stove does a wonderful job heating my two story home and I want to do everything right.

LaBonBon

woodchopper2.gif
Hello, I know this is an old post. However,

I acquired this fire place insert from a family member that has passed. It is in good shape but I think it's missing a part inside the fire box. The fire brick on the floor and side walls are fine. But, there is nothing separating the fire box and exhaust gas opening. There are three "C" type clips one on each wall just above the fire brick. It seems they should hold a flame diffuser of some sort. If anyone has the ability to send a picture of the inside of this model stove or any information at all, It would be very helpful. Thanks

Based on old posts, the Kodiak did have a baffle. You could have one make up for the stove out of 1/4" plate steel.

Another thing to check, is this insert connected to a liner in the chimney or just slammed in the fireplace hole with insulation stuffed around the surround panel edges?