Majestic Biltmore refractory panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bhutan man

Jul 23, 2021
Bozeman, Montana
I shipped a Majestic "Biltmore" wood burning fireplace to Bhutan where I am working on a project. Unfortunately all the refractory panels that line the firebox were damaged during shipping. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge building their own refractory panels? Is it possible to make them using castable refractory cement?

I would carefully check all welds and seams as well... Evidently it has been bumped quite a bit in the trip.

I can't help with the panels - but man I need your job. I'm due for some travel after the last year and a half. Bhutan!

I would send you on your way stoveliker and what a trip that would be and maybe I can start a go fund thing to get you started now and give us peace here on the forum...lol Kidding of course for what would I do without help with wood shed and math..But that country does look very interesting and would be fun to visit at another time (because of covert)...clancey

I think factory replacement panels are still available for the Biltmore. I may be available if you want to send someone to inspect and replace them. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
Factory replacement panels are definitely available for the Biltmore. The problem is that they are expensive, heavy and it costs a lot to ship them to Bhutan, not to mention the potential for damage during shipping. That is why I am soliciting advice on how to make my own using castable refractory cement.

Castable refractory is also heavy. It should be doable if the panel pieces can be assembled to make a pattern for a form. It might be a good idea to reinforce with a wire mesh or tied wire grid.

Definitely have the unit thoroughly gone over for squareness, seam tightness, and weld damage.

Reactions: EbS-P