Majestic fireplace. Can I add a blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hawse8775

Nov 22, 2022
Illinois
New here and know little about fireplaces. I have a MBUC36 fireplace in a house bought a year ago. It doesn’t have a blower and I’m wanting to maximize heat output. My concern is with what looks like aluminum faced insulation covering the top wall of the vent area. The top vent grate is not able to be removed due to brick therefore I can’t remove the insulation. Is this supposed to be there? Is it safe? Is this ok with blowers? I’ve attached a picture.

CEE71EC5-62B6-4C60-9B6B-1A3FF07CFEDD.jpeg

Is this a gas fireplace?

I don't recognize what the installer did there. It looks like there is the UFK fan kit for this fireplace. I don't think there is a need to touch anything on top of the fireplace to install this. My guess is that it installs down behind the bottom intake grille.

Is this a gas fireplace?

I don't recognize what the installer did there. It looks like there is the UFK fan kit for this fireplace. I don't think there is a need to touch anything on top of the fireplace to install this. My guess is that it installs down behind the bottom intake grille.
It is wood burning. Yeah, I’m planning on getting the UFK fan kit if the insulation on top isn’t a problem. I worry the air blowing up through the top vent might cause issues—even if it’s just that it blows fiberglass particles into the room

Is the picture peeking in behind the top vent grille? If so, leave it alone. That looks like cabinet insulation.

It is peeking thru the grille. I don’t think it is… it easily punctures with fiberglass on the other side
OK, that is factory insulation and definitely should not be touched.