Majestic top vent pipe failure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stephenflynn

Feb 27, 2021
Calgary
Hi there,

I moved into a new house last October and inherited a Majestic 36LDVT top vent gas fireplace in our basement. We've been using it for the past couple of months without any issues but last week we heard a bang while it was being used so we stopped using it and turned off the gas.

It looks like the top vent pipe has dropped down out of the chimney that's vented to outside.
PXL_20210224_184510609.jpg

I had someone in to have a look at it but he said it's not fixable and i'd need to replace the entire fireplace which seems a bit extreme...

Has anyone see this happen before or do you think it's fixable?

Thanks!

Can you rotate the existing piece of pipe?
Can you post a pic of what it looks
like from inside the firebox?

Yes it rotates freely and moves up and down but it can't be removed because the ends are slightly flared.

Here's a couple of photos of the inside.
PXL_20210301_014613609.jpg

With the vertical restrictor plate removed the pipe drops down even further but doesn't come out because the pipe is slightly flared on each end.
PXL_20210301_014912086.jpg

Don't remove it. Try to push it back into the correct position for it to work.
By turning it while pushing upward, you may be able to fit it back into the
top hole. Once it's in there, I would seal the where it fits into the top of the
box with RTV silicone. I would also secure it to the under side of the fire box
chamber thru the flared lip with zip screws & apply RTV to the screw threads
where they penetrate into the top cavity.

Don't remove it. Try to push it back into the correct position for it to work.
By turning it while pushing upward, you may be able to fit it back into the
top hole. Once it's in there, I would seal the where it fits into the top of the
box with RTV silicone. I would also secure it to the under side of the fire box
chamber thru the flared lip with zip screws & apply RTV to the screw threads
where they penetrate into the top cavity.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I actually attempted something yesterday evening which sounds pretty similar to what you suggested :)
PXL_20210301_034102933.jpg

I'll get some high temp sealant to finish it off in a couple of days. Thanks again for your input!

Reactions: DAKSY