Make a fire pit out of old brew kettle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aaron1

Oct 9, 2012
Poughkeepsie, NY
I like the Solo Stove smokeless fire pits but they are pricey. I also saw fire pits out of old washing machine drums. Got me thinking. I have an old 20G brew kettle with a cracked weld in the bottom. Could i convert that to a fire pit?
What would be the ideal height and size of holes to put into it to get a good burn?

i thought put a ring of holes around the bottom and try a ring around the top maybe a few inches from the top with the hope i could get some secondaries going. Maybe it wont work when the secondary air isnt preheated like it is in theSolo Stove design?

Before you put any more holes in it, drill a hole at both ends of the crack.
They will prevent the crack from propagating further.

Reactions: semipro
If it's just a base, you don't need any holes. The wood is open to the air and burns uncontrolled. I see them made from ends of oil tanks. Anything 30" to 48". I like a bottom because it makes cleaning up the ash easier. A solid top helps to close it down and keep the rain out of the ash.

Those are nice to have. Two neighbors in a row behind me have fire pits going tonight. I should make one too - several years ago my pool caved in and there's still quite a bit of sand where it was which would probably be a good spot.