Mama Bear Hinge Pins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RLJ

Oct 20, 2015
Northeast Texas
HI all
I slid my newly remodeled Mama Bear into the fireplace and noticed that the hinge pins are loose when the door is open. I can move the door (wiggle) it pretty good. When I shut the door it seems to drag on the bottom some but come up and seals good when I close the handle.
Are the pins that are listed on EBay the right ones for the Mama? They show to be 3/8" by 1 3/4". I noticed the top hinge is stuck and will not come out of the door frame, I guess I can saw it off flush and punch it out.
Anyone had any luck changing these out and where is the best place to get pins that will fit?
Thanks
Rick

1 3/4 long are good for arched top doors. They have a thicker hinge. Flat top doors use shorter 1 5/8. Measure your old ones to get the right size or cut them to size.
They are a steel, solid 3/8 inch diameter rivet.

Spray it with PB Blaster or penetrating oil of your choice. After soaking a few hours, try turning with vice grips until it spins. That usually breaks them loose. Then it should drive out with a punch or smaller bolt

You can make your own easily with a 3/8 bolt. Use a bolt with no threads under head, long enough to make a shank without threads. Cut to length. Grind hex corners off head until round. Tighten in chuck of hand drill, and form head on spinning grinding wheel with drill rotating slow. It forms a round head easily.

Keep hinge pins greased with high temp grease or silver anti-seize !! That prevents wear and they should remove by hand when taken care of. Grease the threads through hole in door behind draft caps as well ! The brush in can of anti-seize goes right through the opening to keep threads coated.

1 3/4 long are good for arched top doors. They have a thicker hinge. Flat top doors use shorter 1 5/8. Measure your old ones to get the right size or cut them to size.
They are a steel, solid 3/8 inch diameter rivet.

Spray it with PB Blaster or penetrating oil of your choice. After soaking a few hours, try turning with vice grips until it spins. That usually breaks them loose. Then it should drive out with a punch or smaller bolt

You can make your own easily with a 3/8 bolt. Use a bolt with no threads under head, long enough to make a shank without threads. Cut to length. Grind hex corners off head until round. Tighten in chuck of hand drill, and form head on spinning grinding wheel with drill rotating slow. It forms a round head easily.

Keep hinge pins greased with high temp grease or silver anti-seize !! That prevents wear and they should remove by hand when taken care of. Grease the threads through hole in door behind draft caps as well ! The brush in can of anti-seize goes right through the opening to keep threads coated.
Thank for the reply.
Never thought about making my own, I think I will give it a try. I'll get some anti-seize and start them out right.
I appreciate your wealth of knowledge and sharing it with folks.
Thanks again
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.