Man Killed by Falling Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
Kershaw County man dies after tree falls on him
BY JOSEPH BUSTOS DECEMBER 30, 2022 10:35
Lugoff South Carolina
A Kershaw County man died Thursday after a tree fell on him, the Kershaw County Coroner’s Office said. Ned Lyles, 71, who is from the Lugoff area, was pronounced dead at the scene. Lyles was alone while cutting a tree in a wooded area on the 100 block of Richardson Boulevard when another tree fell on him, the coroner’s office said. The tree, which was four to five inches around, had a notch cut when it fell and hit Lyles on the back of his neck. “He never knew what hit him,” said Kershaw County Coroner David West. Emergency responders were called about 11:20 a.m. to the scene, about 10 to 15 minutes after the tree fell on Lyles, West said.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article270583232.html#storylink=cpy

It said the tree that fell on him had a notch cut in it. Wonder if he was in the process of cutting it and stopped for some reason. Sad to hear of this.

So many oak trees falling in California with all of the rain, one large and one small fell on my property this week. Also, lots of widowmakers hanging up there so watch out below

He was cutting one tree, and meanwhile the little 5-inch diameter tree that he had already notched, fell over and killed him.

This is exactly why I don't mess with trees anymore and get log length wood delivered. Felling trees is just too damn dangerous for my blood.

Reactions: zmender