Manchester disappointment--one to be avoided.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ElKabong

Mar 5, 2022
California
Two seasons into owning the Manchester and it is by far the most irritating stove I've ever used. Talk about buyer's remorse!! The catalyst aspect of the stove is kind of a pain even though it does make the wood last longer, and especially so if you burn a lot of wood during an extended cold spell. For one, with daily fires the catalyst will clog severely in about 3-4 weeks which then requires a shop-vac to properly clean them, and of course you have to let things cool off comnpletely to get in there. I tried just brushing off the cats but the shop-vac does a much, much better job. A brushing seemed to clear things up for 2 weeks at best but the shop-vac clears it up for another month.
Secondly, the front door of the stove must remain closed while in operation or smoke will instantly billow into the room. Even with the bypass open, damper open, a freshly cleaned chimney, and a roaring fire--the smoke pours into the room if the front door is opened more than a 1/4 inch. I've never used a stove with that deficit before--maybe it's more common than I assume. I only burn seasoned oak and madrone.
And thirdly, there is absolutely ZERO customer support. I've tried many times to contact the manufacturer and get nothing in response. Never before have I dealt with a company that clearly does NOT stand behind their product. Absolute bull puckey is what Hearthstone stoves is worth in my opinion. In 25 solid years with a plain old plate steel Regency I never once had the issue with smoke pouring into the room if I dared to open the front door while the stove was in use. Personally I would avoid a Manchester stove at all costs and I would think twice before settling on Hearthstone as they, in my experience, do not stand behind their product at all.

I understand your frustrations. But can you tell us about your install? Type and height of chimney type of pipe and number of elbows etc. We may be able to help you get the stove working better

The Manchester is primarily a side-loader. Shallow-bodied stoves do tend to spill smoke more out the front door, especially when draft is weak.

Sorry to hear about disappointing support from Hearthstone. This seems to be a repeating issue, though your dealer should step in to help.

I've got the GM80. The CAT clogging may be due to you moving the hot ash around too much, and too often. Early in the season, I would try to sift coals out of hot ash frequently. I checked the CAT one time and found quarter to half dollar size clogs. No more after that. I just move the coals around to expose the red ones. Load wood. Once CAT is engaged and good flames are showing let it run on high for 20 mins like the manual says then start closing air control. I've checked the CAT twice in months and it looks a little fuzzy but thats fine.

I can get away with having the front door open a few inches. Try just cracking the door for a few minutes before opening doors. I can't open the door to load a log if there are active flames usually. Unless the flue is really hot a pulling well. Otherwise I will have fumes enter the room.

The only way to ask them any direct questions is send them a message with facebook messenger. They will respond but it seems they really only wish to deal with dealers. It sucks. This may be a factor if I ever get another stove.

Reactions: brian_in_idaho
I’ve seen the cat clogging issues in the field as well. The cats are placed in a decent location in this stove, the other hearthstone stoves have the cats placed vertically, directly below the flue collar. I expect a ton of service calls over this. What a terrible idea!

Hearthstone also offers rear venting oh many of their stoves.
Few setups require rear venting. The vast majority go straight up and to convert to rear exit would be very counter productive unless it was necessary. It’s a nice option to have, but to set it up like that to avoid the cats getting clogged shouldn’t be necessary.

How tall is your chimney? I own a different stove, but also used to have cat clogging issues on any stove connected to the taller of my two chimneys. No issues with the same stoves on my shorter chimneys.

I eventually measured the draft on that tall chimney, and found it was very high, like more than 0.2” WC. Thankfully, the issue was resolved with a $10 key damper.