Manchester Flue collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcmanusscott

Sep 20, 2022
New Jersey
The first piece of pipe stops from sitting firmly on its bead by 3 bungs in the Flue collar. The bead on the stove pipe, that I assume should meet the Flue collar, sits about 3/4 of an inch above the collar. It fails to make a tight seal and I wonder what others do to seal where the pipe meets the collar. Please advise...

Is the stove pipe seating tightly? If the stovepipe crimp is making a tight seal it may be ok. What stovepipe is being used? Can the crimped tail of the pipe be notched around the bungs or a short bit of the crimped end cut off?

good point. I might just hacksaw out three channels in the pipe. The pipe is think. I think it will not crimp. Now that I think about it I will use my grinder.

The crimped end of stovepipe always points toward the stove. The stovepipe should be crimped on the bottom end that meets the stove's flue collar.

Selkirk's DSP also has an outer wall crimp on top which makes this a little confusing. The inner wall crimp is what is important and that is on the bottom of the pipe. That's why I asked what stovepipe this is.

You can hold a flashlight up inside the stove near the flue collar to see how big any gap might be (if the connector pipe isn't double-wall.)