mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loneeagle15

Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2007
Montana
HI this is mainly for mountain stove guyI saw you have a mansfield and was wondering how you liked it? if what the dealer says is true about only filling it twice a day? about how long does it let off heat after the fire dies out? I know ther are tons of varibles but we have never had a woodstove and was wodering about how much wood I should plan on getting this summer our house is 2000 sq' single story and would like to use it 24/7 for our primary heat source and do not have a clue as to how many cords to get we used ti live in Thornton Col and moved to Billings Mt so we kept our eye on the weather back home and found that it's pretty much the same
Thanks for any guesses
JD

I love it. My dealertold me that i would only have to fill it once a day and he was right ;)
If i wanted to heat my home at night i would load it twice a day. Im getting about a 12-14 hour cycle from a packed firebox. The stove burns for about 7 hours, after 8 hours there are only a few coals, not enough to get it going again, and the stove slowly cools down untill for another 4-5 hours. Hour 13 the stove will be about 90*
I would say you will burn 4 cords for that amount of space. You might put a extra cord in reserve because the first season you might waste some wood. When ever you get a new woodstove you constantly fill it :)

MountainStoveGuy said:
I love it. My dealertold me that i would only have to fill it once a day and he was right ;)

LOL, Which dealer was that? Was that the one over at MuGuckin Hardware or some one else.?

Bigger firebox the better for long burns but dry hard wood will be needed for max long HOT burns. Look at Woodstock soapstone stoves too nice looking big fie boxes and $600.00 off now.

The Biggest Sales Event in 29 Years!
February 9th -24th, 2007
While Inventory lasts, You can Save $600 on All Full Size Stoves
and $400 On Our new Franklin Mini Gas Stove!

http://www.woodstove.com/

Huh???
What in the world are you talking about Driftwood? Max BTU is with 4' of pipe? Where did you get this information from?

the connector pipe btus was Dylkan's theory. there is a little truth to it the pipe will radiate some heat. I would not re want to rely on the connector pipe for heat at the expensise of cooling the smoke inside and create cresote. the best connector pipe is the shortest straightest path

MountainStoveGuy said:
Im getting about a 12-14 hour cycle from a packed firebox. The stove burns for about 7 hours, after 8 hours there are only a few coals, not enough to get it going again, and the stove slowly cools down untill for another 4-5 hours. Hour 13 the stove will be about 90*

Did you mean to say that after 8 hours there are a fews coals, but ENOUGH to get it going again? I would have thought that with a stove the size of the Mansfield there would be lots leftover to get a fresh fire going, especially if burning oak. As far as the 12-14 hour cycle, I take it you are referring to after the fire goes out and the stone is still producing some noticeable heat, right?

all depends on the type of fuel you burn, i burn pine.
that cycle is from start up to a cold stove, inside and out.

jd,

I have had a Mansfield for around three weeks now. We burn mostly ash, elm, walnut and mulberry. Recently all I have put in the stove has been ash.

Here is what I do with mine. I fill it pretty full in the morning and get it heated up around 400 and start damping it down. I have a dampner 18" above the stove in the pipe as well which I use as I was having an overdraft problem ( this seems to help warm the stove up a little faster to now). After I after I reach 450 I will add only two splits every couple of hours to maintain a constant 450 (this is our primary heat). Then at night I will fill the box with four splits and char the wood and then dampning it down completely. The stove will still hit 500 doing this and sometimes 550. By the next morning I am still showing heat on the stove top thermometer of around 250+/-. I just add a couple of splits in the morning and get it going again.

After three days I have to clean the box out. I seem to get a lot of coals built up. The sides the next morning are stilll way to hot to touch and the top is almost to hot to touch. My location of the stove is in the basement on one end of the house, sooooooo that being said my stove is not in the best location for optimal heating and as the basement gets very warm (like 85-90 by the end of a night) however the upstairs stays at a steady 72-75 degrees which is where my wife likes the temp. If she is happy we are all happy ;-P

I still consider myself in the learning phase with this stove. I still feel like it wants to run away on me if I fill it up full as I have reached top temps of 600 sometimes. I do think though that a lot of my wood could be spilt larger as a lot of my spilts are long but could be twice as thick which would give longer burn times. I think this is one problem that is not the stoves fault just the splitters.

Ohh and when the Mansfield runs above 550 degrees for any lenght of time it puts so much heat out it will run you out of the house. Gosh does it ever throw the BTU's then :ahhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.