Mantel Installation on Brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jf89

Nov 30, 2016
Delaware
Hello All,
First forum post here. Lots of great information, and I'm hoping the experience here will be able to help me on this tangential but related topic!

We recently purchased a home built in the 70s with a wood burning fireplace. I originally thought it was entirely brick, but after pulling some molding off around the fireplace have found that the brick is just a facade. The brick area is about 6 feet wide with 5-foot stud and drywall exterior wall flanking each side. We'd like to mount a wood beam (quite heavy) above the fireplace.

My concern is that the brick facade isn't strong enough to support this weight at the wall's center and the whole thing will come crashing down, so that kind of ruins the original plan to mount the beam using lag bolts and shields.

From what I can see from the gaps at the edge (where there was originally molding), there is about a 4-inch gap from the back of the brick to the a black tyvek-like material (insulation around the fireplace box and chimney?). 5.5 feet from the ground is a horizontal beam (looks like a 2x8) running the width of the brick sitting about a 1/2-inch away from the back of the brick. Mortar has seeped out on top of it from when the brick was installed.

On the left side of the brick, I can see a 2x4 stud from the floor to the horizontal beam about 2 inches in from the edge of the brick. Then above the beam is another 2x4 about 4 inches in from the edge of the brick (so the two 2x4s are offset left to right) running to the ceiling. This stud placement doesn't make sense relative to the flanking stud and drywall walls... especially considering the two flanking walls are symmetrical (so I'd expect to see a stud on the right side as well).

Information dump, done. My questions are:

1) Will the brick facade actually hold this weight on its own?

2) If so, do lag shields feel like a good idea?

3) If not, do we think that horizontal beam would hold the load if I drilled completely through the brick and used it as my load bearing member?

4) Anyone think those studs run at a normal spacing across the back? The beam is a bit higher than I wanted the mantel, so I'm thinking that if I can, I'd use the studs to hold.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

We recently mounted our mantle piece, 4x8x6' hickory beam. I used 4 - 1/2" lags screwed directly into a double 2x12 header. I could hang off each of those lags. brick's strength is vertical and is not very strong horizontally. Unless I could find several studs (>=3) within the footprint of the mantle, I would not feel comfortable with it.

We recently mounted our mantle piece, 4x8x6' hickory beam. I used 4 - 1/2" lags screwed directly into a double 2x12 header. I could hang off each of those lags. brick's strength is vertical and is not very strong horizontally. Unless I could find several studs (>=3) within the footprint of the mantle, I would not feel comfortable with it.

Thanks. It's looking like the lower studs (below the horizontal beam in the wall) each start a few inches in from each edge of the brick. It's then less than a foot to the edge of the fire box and an awkward 39 inches between those two edges. Any idea what kind of stud spacing I'd be looking at there? Do you recall what you had or if it was a standard wall spacing?

I built my house so I know my studs are on 16 center. now with an odd length wall determining which end they started from framing is a guess. You just about count on studs every 4' as this is how sheeting, drywall ect are sold. I don't know if they make a stud finder that will see thru brick. pictures of your wall and behind (if you can) would help

Status
Not open for further replies.