Mantel Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ne87565

Oct 2, 2019
maryland
I have an old home (pre-1900) and bought an insulated liner kit etc for installing my families old Intrepid II VC stove. I am trying to reuse the old thimble in the masonry to avoid a good bit of limed mortar chiseling and re-bricking. The installation would go into the chimney/thimble horizontally. My issue is that the stove pipe would only be about 14 - 16" below the old white oak mantel. Clearances for single walled stove pipe are supposedly 18" and I am trying to avoid using double walled because of the cost. Could I use double walled for only the section from the thimble to my first bend (as the mantel only protrudes ~5")? The other option I was thinking about was using a stove pipe protector, but these say mainly used for vertical installations. Any help would be much appreciated.

You can use the stovepipe shield on the horizontal section too. Or you could put a heat shield on 1" insulated spacers on the underside of the mantel.