Mantel Shelf Clearance on Direct Vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GoalSkorar

Jan 10, 2018
New Jersey
Hi -

I tried searching through the forum but couldn't find an answer to my question, so I decided to post a new thread.

I have a Heat & Glo 6000 GDVFL Direct Vent Decorative Gas Fireplace that was installed when the house was built in 1999. I moved in about a year ago. This model is obviously retired by Heat & Glo since it is nearly 30 years old.

I was able to find the installation manual on the Heat& Glo website, but could not find clearance listings for a combustible material mantel shelf. I tried comparing to newer direct vent gas fireplaces they offered to find a recommended clearance listing but didn't feel comfortable with the comparisons.

I've searched all over for clearance values, most I find are related to wood burning fireplaces, but do not mention if they apply to direct vent gas fireplaces.

I talked to my local building inspector and he said they follow the manufacturer's guidelines. I tried to contact Hat & Glo but have not heard back from them. So I'm looking for some guidance for a safe clearance distance, which is getting a definite built in buffer with the granite above the fireplace opening. I've attached a picture of it so you can see the current surrounding granite....and yea, I'm considering replacing the color of that granite...

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 164