Mantle Clearance--Homestead--PIC Posted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hi There,
I see how to fix an issue was bumped, but I have a question:

My mantle only sticks out 3 inches. The manual says 23" height required with the surround but I only have 20. The top of the fireplace frame will be the top of the Homestead. Do I really need to put one of those stupid looking mantle-protectors with the spacers on?

Thanks,

S

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 176
Do you want to go to bed at night wondering if your house will catch fire? Simple as that. If not, then sure, you don't need it.

I think that heat radiates from a stove as an inverse square rule. I think this is what really matters - not the convective heat. So if you double the distance away, you quarter the intensity of the heat. If my calcs are correct (which is always debatable), I reckon that extra three inches could decrease the heat by 25%.

Will it definitely catch fire? No. Is it likely it will catch fire? No. Is there a very, very small chance that it will catch fire maybe 10 years from now? Yes. Enough for me to deal with it now.

Can you raise your mantel instead?

Hello There,
Given the mantle structure, it won't be easy to move. If I do a metal liner underneath, with the spacers, can it just be the length of the mantle?

S

Someone else needs to chime in - I know not...

Status
Not open for further replies.