Manual or instalation papers for a Scandia Franklin Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klain

Nov 27, 2008
Connecticut
I was wondering if anyone had or know were to get a instruction manual, installation , spec for a Scandia , Franklin Cast Products Warwick RI .
Sadly we have one installed and can not get it passed without these papers for inspection. I have seen this asked before, but had hope maybe someone had some link or knowledge. I do reallize they are now out of business, but figured I would give one more shot before uninstal.
Thank you

klain said:
I was wondering if anyone had or know were to get a instruction manual, installation , spec for a Scandia , Franklin Cast Products Warwick RI .
Sadly we have one installed and can not get it passed without these papers for inspection. I have seen this asked before, but had hope maybe someone had some link or knowledge. I do reallize they are now out of business, but figured I would give one more shot before uninstal.
Thank you

As far as I'm concerned you're better off ess-canning that POS. Seriously, Franklin Stoves are garbage.

The odds are pretty slim, but maybe if you post the model or a picture someone will recognize it. I think in the long run you will have less permit and operational hassles by replacing the stove with a modern unit.

Below is a attached picture of the stove. Perhaps someone has papers, specs, installation manual or maybe know of the model it is.
Thanks

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 5,860
Scandia stoves were low cost Taiwanese copies of Jotul stoves which appeared (and were the subject of a protracted law suit) during the first oil shock in the 70's. If I remember correctly, Scandia actually disassembled Jotul stoves and used the pieces as patterns for their own castings. They were generally regarded as poorly made stoves with inferior cast parts. They did, however, get a lot of people through a difficult time. I'd try going to the Jotul website and downloading the manual for the stove most similar in appearance to the Scandia you have. I would, however, leave a large margin for error with such things as clearances and operating temperatures.

HI,
Thank you for the info. I did go to the site but could not find similar. I did find the Jotul 1 model seems to be the same, but no luck on the site for a installation manual.

Your stove certainly seems to be a Jotul 1 clone. You can find a parts diagram for it at http://woodsmanspartsplus.com, but this is not the same as a manual. Emailing Jotul North America or a Jotul dealer near you might yield a manual, but there's no guarantee that the Scandia copy was an exact match.

Status
Not open for further replies.