Manual temp vs thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jls667

Jan 5, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,

First post here but I lurk all the time and wanted to first thank everyone for always being so helpful.

I recently got my first insert, a Napoleon S25i, and also got a magnet thermometer as the manual recommends. My insert sticks out several inches so I can get the thermometer to stick on top.

My concern is about burning too low. The thermometer says that the best burn temp is between 400 and 650F, but the manual suggests 250-450F. I assume the manual would be correct in the range to avoid creosote but that's a pretty big difference.

What is your thoughts on the best temps? Should I just follow the manual?

I ask because I can never seem to get the insert hot enough. The wood always wants to get red hot but doesn't always result in large clean flames. My wood is plenty seasoned so I'm not sure what the deal is but I don't want to fill up with creosote either.

Thanks in advance everyone!

It's impossible to determine an absolute optimal surface temperature for all stoves / inserts. As you can imagine, not all of the surfaces are the same temperature and there is quite a bit of variability between stoves models.

I've not seen the Napoleon in person. Is it a jacketed stove? That will cause the surface temperature to read significantly lower than some other stoves which your thermometer may have been designed for. 250-450 does sound low for a typical stove. Also being an insert, it may not be easy to get the thermometer on the hottest part of the stove, so that range may be a good guideline given the thermometer placement.

Describe your wood seasoning process for us. It takes quite a bit of time and supervision for most wood to get to the point of being "plenty" seasoned so I would call that claim into question unless you've been working on your wood supply for several years prior to getting the stove. The symptoms you describe (red hot, but not much flame, cool stove temps) point to your wood having a high moisture content.

Does the insert have a convective stovetop, that is one that the blower air exit underneath the stovetop? If so, the temperature reading will be lower. For comparison, take a temperature reading on the door above the stove glass.

Also, there are stove top and (single wall) stove pipe thermometers. Optimal measurement range is different.

Thanks for the replies.

Forgive my ignorance but I don't know if it's jacketed. If I was a betting man I'd say yes it is based on it's structure.

My seasoning process is simple. I buy it. I initially bought half a cord to test things out from a guy who's wood I have become a bit suspicious that it was still a touch too green and then a cord from someone who's wood definitely appears very well seasoned. The second round was seasoned for nearly two years.

I do have a blower thats tests at the bottom of the insert. I moved the thermometer to above the glass and it went even lower.

Im waiting on an email from Napoleon on where to place the thermometer. I feel like I'm closer to getting an infrared and shooting the glass as the glass is roasting like the inside when I open.

The glass will provide an erroneous and somewhat useless reading. If this insert does not have a convective lid, then it probably can be run hotter.

I'm sorry to tell you that even the seasoned wood from the "good" guy is probably not dry enough. It never is.

Many wood species can dry in two years, but need to be stacked and top covered with good airflow. Most firewood vendors "season" their wood in a big pile where most of it never sees the light of day until it's delivered.

I'm sorry to tell you that even the seasoned wood from the "good" guy is probably not dry enough. It never is.

Many wood species can dry in two years, but need to be stacked and top covered with good airflow. Most firewood vendors "season" their wood in a big pile where most of it never sees the light of day until it's delivered.
I believe it. The first guy was recommended by a friend who uses him all the time. The batch I got was full of beautiful large splits but we're very dirty. I felt like he just scooped them off the ground and into his truck. The second guy had what appears to be drier wood, they were all very clean and he seemed to really care about his product but the splits were much much smaller and thinner.

Do you guys find it easier to maintain a hot temp than actually get there?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to this and learning as much as I can.

Especially if you're buying wood, I suggest you spend $30 on a moisture meter.
Split a piece, and measure on the fresh surface (parallel to the grain). Allows you to 1. check the vendor's claim about seasoning, and 2. negotiate a bit if you have to.
Aim for moisture content < 20%.

Best if you have to buy, buy green, stack it off the ground, covered for 2 years (preferably in wind and sun).