Manufactured Home Approved Built-In Fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ktyler

Oct 27, 2015
Missouri
I am trying to figure out how to find an approved built-in wood stove fireplace, but I'm getting very confused. I understand that for a manufactured home their has to be an outdoor air intake. The local dealer has said that we could have an Opel 2 installed in our manufactured home because their would an intake vent on the top of the house, which feeds the air to the stove. However, according to the manufacturer, it is not mobile home approved. Our home is about 1700 sq. ft. and is on a permanent concrete foundation with a 4 ft. crawl space. If anyone knows of a particular brand that would be an approved stove and heat that space, please let me know. I am at a loss right now. I want it to be the type that looks like a fireplace, not a free-standing or just a slide-in insert. Thank you.

Welcome. It sure does not sound like that home is going to be mobile again unless there's a tornado. Have you checked with the local inspecting authority or your insurance co.? An EPA ZC fireplace unlike a stove is a permanent bolted in fixture with outside air. I'm not sure it has specific mobile requirements. Best to ask.

If there is a code issue it might be simpler to install a free-standing wood stove on an attractive hearth. There are many that have meet mobile requirements. Would that be an option?

Last edited:
Welcome. It sure does not sound like that home is going to be mobile again unless there's a tornado. Have you checked with the local inspecting authority or your insurance co.? An EPA ZC fireplace unlike a stove is a permanent bolted in fixture with outside air. I'm not sure it has specific mobile requirements. Best to ask.

If there is a code issue it might be simpler to install a free-standing wood stove on an attractive hearth. There are many that have meet mobile requirements. Would that be an option?

I already have a wood burning fireplace. I want to have that unit changed out to accommodate the wood stove and keep the look of the fireplace.

I'm just mainly confused by the dealer telling me there is no reason that the Opel 2 can't be used and the manufacturer telling me it isn't approved for manufactured homes. This guy has been installing stoves like this for 30 years and has installed this particular model in other manufactured homes that are on permanent foundations. I don't want to lose my insurance or worse, have any safety issues. Not sure what or who to believe at this point. I'm hoping someone on here has some unbiased information.

Do you mean one that will accommodate a wood burning insert? Is the current fireplace wood or gas burning? Do you know the make/model?

I took a loot at some models. The Flame Monaco says it "had not been tested for mobile home installation". I guess it is open to interpretation whether that means it can or cannot be installed in one. The KozyHeat Z42 just excludes bedrooms in mobile homes and advises to make sure walls etc can support it. Thus, it looks like that may be a model you can take into consideration. I also looked at the WCT6820WS from Superior Fireplaces. This one says explicitly on the first page that it can be installed in mobile homes. It may be worthwhile checking out whether their other EPA-approved models would be permissible, too.

In regards to the Opel 2, that's what I found in its manual (page 7, under "outside air control"):"If the fireplace is installed in a mobile home, the outside air has to be used as combustion air." Hence, I am not sure if the info you got from the manufacturer was correct. Maybe call again and point them to that sentence in the manual.

Thanks for the research Grisu. Not every customer service person is up to speed on the full product line nor the nuances of special installations.

Thanks for the research Grisu. Not every customer service person is up to speed on the full product line nor the nuances of special installations.

Agree. I would not like to sit there trying to remember every last detail about the product line (and probably often for a pretty pathetic salary). Not sure how most customers would react to a "I don't know but I will find out for you." I would certainly prefer that over an incorrect answer.

Reactions: Seanm
Thank you Grisu for your help. This is so new to me that I wasn't sure where to look. I had tried researching on Google, but I didn't see all the ones you found. I appreciate your help and will look into it some more. I've never lived in a manufactured home before and never had to shop for a wood stove before.

Reactions: Grisu
There are actually many different options on the market. Here are some more:
Pacific Energy FP30, FireplaceXtraordinaire Elite 36, Heat & Glo Northstar, Valcourt e. g. FP9. Superior fireplaces has several models: http://superiorfireplaces.us.com/products/t/superior-wood-burning-fireplaces look for the ones that say EPA-certified; Regency EX90, Napoleon NZ3000, Quadrafire 7100

Most have their manuals online. I would look into it to see whether they can be installed in a mobile home.

Still wondering what is the current fireplace make and model that is installed?

I didn't think EPA-certified was equivalent to manufactured home approved. I know there are several different models of that type of stove, but I'll just have to see which ones can be put in a manufactured home.

They aren't equivalent. HUD requirements for manufactured housing requires the use of outside air and provision for securing the appliance to the floor.

Sorry if my post was misleading. EPA-approved means the fireplace will be efficient and will serve as a heating appliance and not just be there for ambiance. You will still need to check any model you are considering whether it can be installed in a mobile home. That's why I recommended to look at their respective manuals.

I'm a little confused about securing it to the floor if it's not a free-standing stove. If it is a built-in with a hearth, does it still have to be bolted down? It has no legs.

It is bolted in place. The ZC fireplace is secured to the structure. It's not going anywhere.

Your problem is that you are trying to apply reasoning or rationale to the federal government. Cannot be done. "Approved" for mobile home or manufactured housing is a HUD determination; and the only wood-burning stoves "approved" for such housing are the free-standing ones. The free-standing ones have floor-bolting and minimum clearance from walls and combustibles requirements.
As to why the materials used in a manufactured home or permanently fixed mobile home would be less combustible than those used in a "traditionally built" home is up for discussion. But Big Brother has so determined, so that's it. As a result, the heavily regulated manufacturer must indicate that the fireplace inserts are "Not Approved For Mobile Home Use".

Status
Not open for further replies.