Maple seasoning time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Feeling the Heat
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
I’ve burned a little maple, but not a lot. Last year I came across about a cord of it from a tree that my friend had cut down. Curious if anyone knows the average seasoning time? So far it looks like it’s drying pretty quick. I’m guessing it may be ready in 2 years of drying time. Wondering everyone else’s experience with it.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
It all depends on the type of Maple. Silver will dry in about 8-10 months, Sugar & Black maple will be around 2 years from the reading I have done, I can’t recall what Red Maple seasoning time is.

I have a jag of Black Maple I got from my sisters yard, I put it in my Oak pile.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Indeed, silver maple I did in a year.

Anyone know about Norway maple?

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Norway 2 yrs.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
K. Ty

tadmaz

Feeling the Heat
Dec 21, 2017
Erin, WI
Norway takes a freaky long time. Red can be a while. The rest are "normal"

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Hm. Well, I have it in a shed. I hope it'll be ok in 3 years from now.

Reactions: MissMac

hickoryhoarder

Minister of Fire
Apr 5, 2013
Indiana
Sugar maple usually about 2 years for me. Red maple 12 to 18 months. I'm not fond of silver maple.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
In my experience, red maple dries fairly quick. Certainly within one year if stored well. In n ideal location top covered, I’d be good with burning it if it was cut during the spring of that burning season ( needs the summer).